Questions on my upgrade to HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TK22867

Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
All:

I have decided to make the upgrade to HD and was wondering if all of you gurus could answer some questions I have.

My existing system is as follows: I have two (2) dual LNB satellite dishes, one pointing to 72.5 for locals, and one to 119 (?) for the regular DTV programming. From each satellite, I have two (2) runs of RG-6 cable that go to a grounding terminal block and then onto a 4x4 zinwell multi-switch. From the multi-switch, I have runs to two (2) standard receivers and two (2) standard tvs. Pretty simple.

Questions on my upgrade to HD:

1. If I upgrade, will I get a 5-LNB dish? If so, is it hard to install and tune? I did install the existing system myself.

2. Can I re-use the 72.5 dish for my locals? HD Locals are not available in my area.

3. Will I still only need 4 runs of RG-6 to the multi-switch or will I now need 6? Or does it depend on whether or not I still need the local dish?

4. Can standard tvs use HD receivers? I'm thinking about buying an HD receiver now for future HD tv use.

5. If I keep my two (2) tv setup with one being HD and one standard, can I still feed the standard receiver through the multi-switch?

It would be fantiddliastic if someone could point me to a diagram on how this all should be connected.

Thank you all for taking time out of your day to help out this electrical power engineer who knows zilch about satellite communications! ~TK

1. If I upgrade, will I get a 5-LNB dish?
Yes
If so, is it hard to install and tune?
It takes only a telephone call to have it professionally installed. It is more intense that installing a dual or triple dish, but the process is essentially the same.
2. Can I re-use the 72.5 dish for my locals?
There is an input on the new multiswitch for the 72.5 dish.
3. Will I still only need 4 runs of RG-6 to the multi-switch or will I now need 6?
This depends on where you put the multiswitch. There will be five runs to the multiswitch from the dishes.
4. Can standard tvs use HD receivers? I'm thinking about buying an HD receiver now for future HD tv use.
A qualified yes depending on how you feel about letterboxed content on an SDTV.
5. If I keep my two (2) tv setup with one being HD and one standard, can I still feed the standard receiver through the multi-switch?
With the understanding that you'll have a new multiswitch.
It would be fantiddliastic if someone could point me to a diagram on how this all should be connected.
If you want access to your HD locals, this may vary widely.

Suffice it to say that when you upgrade, DIRECTV will send someone out to do the whole installation.

TK22867 ,

I have to dispute Harshness on number # 3.

3. Will I still only need 4 runs of RG-6 to the multi-switch or will I now need 6?

You will only require 4 lines still, but you DO need all 4 when setting up the multiswitch. Te switch you will want will be the WB68 or WB616, I believe the extra inputs on it are for flexport usage.

Jimbo

TK22867 ,

I have to dispute Harshness on number # 3.

You will only require 4 lines still, but you DO need all 4 when setting up the multiswitch. Te switch you will want will be the WB68 or WB616, I believe the extra inputs on it are for flexport usage.

Jimbo

Actually, the OP will need 5 leads to the 6x8 multiswitch because he uses the 72.5 sat for locals.

Thank you all for your replies! I have two more questions that I need some help on:

1.) Does the HD-DVR require 2 coax runs from the multi-switch? I only have one coax run right now for my standard receiver. Does the regular HD receiver without DVR require only 1 coax run?

2.) Can a standard receiver and standard definition television be used with the multiswitch along with an HD receiver for an HD tv with no "consequences"?

Thanks all!

1. You can use one coax run but that only allows 1 program to record on the DVR. Any DVR will work with 1 line.

2. Standard and HD receivers can coexist on any multiswitch. You just need the new Ka/Ku multiswitch to work with the new Satellite D10 and future HD channels.

So that means with only one coax line I can watch one program on live tv and can record another at the same time? With 2 coax lines I could record 2 programs at the same time while watching another? I'm a bit confused because some research I've done says you can only record what you are watching with only 1 coax line........

So that means with only one coax line I can watch one program on live tv and can record another at the same time? With 2 coax lines I could record 2 programs at the same time while watching another? I'm a bit confused because some research I've done says you can only record what you are watching with only 1 coax line........

Each coax input to the DVR is a separate live channel it can process at the time. With 2 lines in, you can record two shows at once and be watching one of those two shows or something you've previously recorded. With 2 lines in, you can record one show and watch another live show. With only one line it, think of it as a VCR...you're stuck watching what you are recording.

Each coax input to the DVR is a separate live channel it can process at the time. With 2 lines in, you can record two shows at once and be watching one of those two shows or something you've previously recorded. With 2 lines in, you can record one show and watch another live show. With only one line it, think of it as a VCR...you're stuck watching what you are recording.

Exactly, if you have to, use the 1 line but what really makes the DVR powerful is the ability to record 2 different things or record 1 thing while watching something live. If Directv is installing a DVR for you, they will install the second line if you request it on the purchase order.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can I ask some dumb questions?

Did I just get downgraded equipment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)