Can i buy a new receiver to get better tv quality or i gotta upgrade my plan?

acelera

Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
USA, NJ
Hi everyone,

i currently have 2 boxes of dish 301 or 311 not sure and i just got a new HDTV and the channels quality are crap.
My friend told me to get a new box that has hdmi ports because it would have a better quality with that cable.

Can i just go and buy the box myself or i need to upgrade my plan to include hdtv channels and request those boxes?

thank you

What is the size of your tv compared to your older one? Regardless of the box, if you run SD to a larger size HDTV, it will look like crap. Best picture you can have would be component or hdmi out and a HDTV package, but if you plan to only have SD, I would not worry with getting a new box.

I have a 722k with HDMI out, and the SD looks horrible on my 50".

What a surprise SD looks bad on 50"

What is the size of your tv compared to your older one? Regardless of the box, if you run SD to a larger size HDTV, it will look like crap. Best picture you can have would be component or hdmi out and a HDTV package, but if you plan to only have SD, I would not worry with getting a new box.

I have a 722k with HDMI out, and the SD looks horrible on my 50".

Bet OTA direct to TV looks bad on SD as well. I doubt that the 722k is at fault.

I wasnt saying it was, the point for him was that a "NEW HDMI" rcvr would not solve his ills.

Only HD programing and the appropriate cable will.

You really should upgrade your plan and they will offer you the appropriate equipment. You need to move to a ViP series box.

You really should upgrade your plan and they will offer you the appropriate equipment. You need to move to a ViP series box.

This is the best idea if the OP wants to pay for HD programming. Get a new 722 with HD, and youll be very happy. SD channels will still look bad though.

the size is 47" so i guess it will look bad as well.. and my old was about 26" but wasn't a hdtv.
i will see prices then for the hd programming

thanks for the help/info =]

Most of the HDTV channels come from a 3rd satellite slot, so you're also looking at a dish upgrade. Log in to your account on dishnetwork.com, to to Equipment, and see what your Dish'n It Up offer is (terms may vary by account).

Until that happens, have you tried connecting an OTA antenna to the new set for your local channels? You may need to connect your existing Dish receiver with A/V cords to free the input.

Your best connection available now would be s-video. It's the best for SD. You can also lower the sharpness somewhat to take the extra edge enhancement down some. However, to get the most out of your tv, you need 3 things, an hdtv (which you have), an HD receiver, and an hd channel. preferably lots of hd channels.

Us guys never grow up, our toys just get more expensive.

If you plan to do a dish it up, see if you can do a $10 off for 12 month offer. You will have to do a new 24 month commitment. Then, call back and do the hd upgrade. Bam, free hd for a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts