Can I Cancel My Phone Line?

ralfyguy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 17, 2005
McAlester, Oklahoma
I have a 722 and a 622 in different rooms. The 722 is connected to broadband and phone line. The 622 is "connected" to the 722 via dishcomm. Can the 622 still call "home" if I cancel my phone line?
Or does the dishcomm only work with the other receivers phone connection, and not via broadband?

You're getting charged whether the phone line is plugged in or not, so drop it. I dropped mine a long time ago, and I unplugged the ethernet so I could use it on my WDTV last year.

I have DSL and on 08/20 I make the mandatory switch to uverse and I intend to do away with my home phone plan. I have no use for it otherwise. It just cost me money.
I am just afraid of auditing if one of my dual tuners won't call home anymore.

Just for the heck of it, I disconnected the 722 from the wall phone socket to see what happens. Some time ago whenever I did that, the 622 had a pop-up saying to connect the receiver to a phone line to avoid a penalty or something. So far nothing yet. I don't wanna see that pop-up all the time.

ralfyguy said:
Just for the heck of it, I disconnected the 722 from the wall phone socket to see what happens. Some time ago whenever I did that, the 622 had a pop-up saying to connect the receiver to a phone line to avoid a penalty or something. So far nothing yet. I don't wanna see that pop-up all the time.

They did away with that fee over a year ago

dan188 said:
They did away with that fee over a year ago

Only if by doing away with it means that they rolled it into the mandatory receiver fee so that there was no way to get it waived. :)

I pulled the plug a day and a half ago and so far no annoying prompt on the screen to keep it connected to a phone line.
Besides that, to be honest I do not feel like paying over 20 bux a month just to keep a phone line for their receivers to call home anymore. I may get audited for having two dual tuners dvr's in a small single story house, but I don't care.
I am with them since almost 10 years and have AEP. If they wanted me to keep that phone line, they can pay for it and deduct it from my bill. :D :D

I was told a couple of years ago that you did not need a phone line anymore. I do have the wifi dongle and it connects with Dish on a daily basis via my voip. It has been reported that Dish has contacted people and told them that they need a service call. Their receiver has "phoned home" that there is a problem that needs to be fixed.