Can I connect 6 TVs to 2 Receivers

Fairway Fatty

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2010
Va
Greetings.

I currently am long time subscriber to D_v and considering switching to D_k so that I can take advantage of promo offers and reduce my long term monthly cost as much as possible.

Current setup:
2HD,2SD,1SDDVR w/5LB Dish
Choice Xtra + HD DVR Package = 1 Ben Franklin (includes 3 month 15 buck b_tch discount soon to end)

My house is coaxed through the wall in 7 rooms. Sat feed enters house in basement then connects to all the terminal ends of the separate rooms etc.(4 up (2HD2SD) and (3 down (1HD2SD)). NOTE: 2 up SD rooms currently not fed.

It is just my wife and I now and would like to feed all upstairs on one receiver and all downstairs on one receiver. I don't care if some would be dedicated to the same channels Eg; both HD's up - same channel and both SD's down - same channel.

Anyway I'm looking for the best way to achieve this or if there are any ideas better I'd appreciate that as well.

If this is answered or close enough to get me going already please point me to it.

Thanks. FF

Last edited:
As long as all the cables end up in the same central area it will be a piece of cake. Dish uses diplexers, so you would take a shirt line off the tv2 of the diplexer and run that to a spliter and connect all upstairs tv's. Then do the same thing off the other diplexer( if those are being used). Also, the person that installs it might want to charge you. I wouldn't if it's easy.

You could get a Dual Tuner HDDVR and a Dual Tuner HD receiver. You could have HD on 2 tv's one with DVR. Then all other rooms could have the TV2 SD feed from both boxes. You can basically have as many tv's as you want connected to those TV2 outputs, they just will all watch the same thing.

Any recommendation on where to get diplexers?
Does D_v use diplexers or just DISH?
Is there any relevance to the location of these dual receivers and using a remote - distance/walls etc.?
Is there a good affordable universal remote I can buy and program so I can leave one each of the "duplicate" rooms?

Thanks. FF

D* does not use diplexers in their installs any longer. They can be bought in many places, but the installer will use them when you get installed.

There are many tricks that the installer can use for the remotes so distance in a normal house is not a problem.

You can get extra Dish remotes on Ebay for cheap.

As far as where the receivers go. You want the receivers where you HD tv's are located. If all your TV's are HD then you are going to have to decide what ones get HD. Unless you are going to do long runs of HDMI or Component cables to get HD every place.

D* As far as where the receivers go. You want the receivers where you HD tv's are located. If all your TV's are HD then you are going to have to decide what ones get HD. Unless you are going to do long runs of HDMI or Component cables to get HD every place.

Thanks lf88.

Today I wall mounted a 32" HD LCD in bedroom that is pretty much back to back to the alcove in living room where I have DIRECTV HD20-100 receiver and a HD TV. I put in 2 "old work" duplex receptacle boxes directly behind the 32" wall mount (120V and the other for A/V). Everything was so close together it was fairly easy to do and since internal walls and there was no insulation.

Anyway I fed the HDMI from the HD20-100 to the TV in living room alcove as it was and then ran a 6' Composite Video through the wall then out through the "A/V" receptacle box into the 32" wall mount. I had a Next Gen. Remote Range Extender and am able to change (same) channel from either room with 2 remotes. Seems to work well knock on wood.

Now the DISH question..... Does the DISH HD Duo have similar outputs to allow me to do this same thing and additionally connect the SD tuner to 2 other rooms?

How does the SD tuner feed get to the two other rooms (they are down the hall)....would a diplexer (1 in 3 out) be put in line where the sat. cable comes in basement between the coax going to the HD Duo then connect the other 2 rooms to the open terms on the diplexer?

Sorry to drag this out but I'm just trying to figure out the jist of it all.

Thanks for any help. If not I'll repost.

Thanks again . FF

Last edited:
Both HD DUO Receeivers, the 222k and the 722k (DVR), have HDMI, Composite, AND Component outputs to the main tv (TV1). Thus, you can use your current setup between the living room and the bedroom. However, if you use Component cables to connect the bedroom tv you will have a better (i.e., HD) picture!

Attached is a diagram that illustrates how to connect other tv's (TV2) that have the abliity to watch a different channel in SD than the main tv (TV1) is watching by using the Home Distribution (i.e. coax cable) output. [DUO Receiver in Dish terminology means 2 tuners in one box. That's what I love about Dish.] Thus, if you do install a second receiver, the various tv's will have the ability to watch 4 different channels!

(Note in the attached diagram that a diplexer, separator, and splitter are all quite different even though they appear to do the same thing--i.e., split / combine signals.)

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• DistributionExample7[1].pdf
    310 KB · Views: 300
Thanks for the Diagram.....

I was in discussion with DISH for pricing etc. and was told that on their single tuner receivers the outputs are "switching" ie; if you are using the HDMI output to an HD TV then the other outputs are "off". This would not allow me to mirror feed the TV in the bedroom using Component Video (Directv receiver outputs are all on)

Anyway this is kind of a deal breaker for me if it is true......

Thanks again for the info. FF

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts