Can I extend the range of the 2nd remote by doing this???

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
You know how the antenna plugs into the back of the DVR with a standard coax screw in adapter?

What if I put a regular coax cable on the back where it goes in. run about 200 feet of cable to the room where the tv is in, and then plug in the antenna into that wire......

Will that work? (I'll try it on friday when i get the second box)

Yes. It works for me, although I'm not running 200 ft.

I have two short rg6 jumpers coming from the TV2 output and TV2 RF Remote connectors on my 625. They are connected to an RF splitter. Another short jumper connects the splitter to the RF side of a diplexer. Obviously, the the sat inputs are connected to the SAT side of the diplexer. One RG6 cable carries all of this to my wiring closet, where there is another diplexer. The SAT side of the diplexer goes to the LNBF. The RF side of the diplexer goes back out to where TV2 is located. At that location I have another RF splitter. One side of the splitter goes to the TV and the little TV2 remote antenna is connected directly to the other side of the splitter.

Howdy Bob, I hope all is going well for you out in the desert.:up

Im alive and thats what really matters :) Right now every one in the famliy is at disney world while my wife and daughter is at home and im in iraq. that has me hot... but its starting to warm up.. im less than 200 days from coming home and life gets a better as each day goes by ;)

You know how the antenna plugs into the back of the DVR with a standard coax screw in adapter?

What if I put a regular coax cable on the back where it goes in. run about 200 feet of cable to the room where the tv is in, and then plug in the antenna into that wire......

In lieu of running another 200' of coax, just split and diplex it back to tv2 along with the video. Put the 'lil antenna at the TV2 location.
fred

Last edited:
i assume a diplexer makes it so one COAX cable can transmit two signals??

Can i have the installer give me these? (this is the second install in another house of my families in a week)

I was thinking of that, but I'm not too experienced with diplexing and stuff

This is actually much simpler to do than putting it into words.

We need a diagram here. In this case a picture is definitely worth a 1000 words.

Is there a hitting-forehead-with-hand smilie ?

My office (where I have a small TV) is about 100 feet from the Dish receivers, and for years, I have used the extend-antenna-higher-and-closer-using-a-long-coax method. I still often have to press a button several times, or move the remote around to get just the right direction. :eek:

The combine-and-split method that puts the UHF antenna right in the room with the remote TV is so much better (in fact I installed the two splitters within a few minutes of reading this thread).

Many thanks for this! :clap :clap :clap

(And why didn't I think of it five years ago? :eek: )

Last edited:
That same page shows an easter egg code to enter to turn up the gain of the uhf remote sensor. That might work too. (can't try it at the moment)

You might try something that has worked for me on several occasions.

Take the TV2 remote to where the signal is just starting to not get through to the receiver and with the TV2 remote,

Press Browse, Theme, then Record and pause a few seconds.
Repeat again - Press Browse, Theme, then Record.

Check and see if the TV2 remote now works from this location.
If it does, now go to your furthest location where it has to be used and repeat the Browse, Theme, Record method and you may be alright to use the remote from that location.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts