Can I get any credit if I threaten to go to cable?

dclark

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
I have been a DISH customer for the last 6 years. I really want to get a HDTV pvr. However, I don't like the idea of shelling out $1000 on a box w/o any incentives, especially a 921 instead of TIVO. If I called DISH and told them that I was thinking of going to Direct or cable, what are the chances of getting something from "customer retention" and how much?

Good luck getting anything from E*. Accept " Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out. Try D*, better service and better customer retention. At least they try to keep you. Just my crazy thoughts :)

Cascade said:
Why do you feel you have to bribe them?
All you're doing is pushing up prices for everyone else.

That's a pretty lame statement. Six years ago, I BOUGHT my equipment and have been paying DISH $70 a month ever since. Now, someone who has never given a dime to DISH, can cal them up, and they'll give them up to FOUR new boxes. How much do those boxes cost DISH? Are they keeping my rates up? I really don't care.
Ihave given almost $5000 to DISH. I don't think it is unreasonable for them to give me a break in my programing if I buy a 921.
Furthermore, I resent the cost of it. If DISH service goes down the tubes (like how the pq went down on sd) then I am stuck with a $1000 box that is useless. The electric company doesn't charge me for the pwoer lines, I don't see why DISH should do the same.

dclark said:
That's a pretty lame statement. Six years ago, I BOUGHT my equipment and have been paying DISH $70 a month ever since.
I bought all 6 of my boxes in the past 4 years too.
Now, someone who has never given a dime to DISH, can cal them up, and they'll give them up to FOUR new boxes. How much do those boxes cost DISH? Are they keeping my rates up? I really don't care.
And when they leave DIsh, they have to return the boxes. I can sell my 3000,4000, 2 301's and the 508 if I want to.
Ihave given almost $5000 to DISH. I don't think it is unreasonable for them to give me a break in my programing if I buy a 921.
so because you have done that, you want a break in programming? I've purchased probably 30 cell phones in the last 10+ years and I don;t get a break in that.
Furthermore, I resent the cost of it. If DISH service goes down the tubes (like how the pq went down on sd) then I am stuck with a $1000 box that is useless. The electric company doesn't charge me for the pwoer lines, I don't see why DISH should do the same.
what the heck are you smoking?? No the electric company doesnt charge you for the lines, they just gouge the heck out of the prices.
Yeah dish could give all of us $1000 boxes, but then they would charge us $200 a month.

dclark said:

Your analogy doesn't make any sense.

Dclarke I strongly suggest you tell Dish exactly how you feel. Just let them know, its cheaper for you to upgrade to an HD Tivo than it is to get a 921

If you spend more than $70 month on programming, I guarantee you the Dish rep will do whatever he/she can to keep your business.