Can I get ANY HD locals from 61.5?

HardDriver

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2006
I have a Dish 500 and a 61.5 dish - are there any HD locals that I can get? It makes no difference where they are from, I just want the additional programming.

HardDriver said:
I have a Dish 500 and a 61.5 dish - are there any HD locals that I can get? It makes no difference where they are from, I just want the additional programming.
The ones on 61.5° are mainly from the east coast cities, NY, BOS, PHL, WDC, in the 63xx channels.
You would have to also have a VIP MPEG4 receiver.

Well, that's what I thought. However, upon calling Dish after my 622 install today, they said I can't get ABC, NBC, or any locals in HD other than CBS...

EDIT: Upon reading this thread, apparently Dish was right. Great! What a waste of time and money.

Last edited:
HardDriver said:
Well, that's what I thought. However, upon calling Dish after my 622 install today, they said I can't get ABC, NBC, or any locals in HD other than CBS...

EDIT: Upon reading this thread, apparently Dish was right. Great! What a waste of time and money.
Where do you live...which DMA?

You could always "move" to one of those cities...

Have any friends without dish with an address there?

I'm in Lexington, KY's DMA and about as far away from an OTA signal as you can get. You'd think someone would make the fact that you can only get the HD locals if you actually live in that area a bit more clear, but it won't be the first time people who don't live in the city get screwed. I feel like the biggest idiot in the world after reading this forum and convincing my family to get the 622 - I won't make that mistake again!

Last edited:
HardDriver said:
I'm in Lexington, KY's DMA and about as far away from an OTA signal as you can get. You'd think someone would make the fact that you can only get the HD locals if you actually live in that area a bit more clear, but it won't be the first time people who don't live in the city get screwed. I feel like the biggest idiot in the world after reading this forum and convincing my family to get the 622 - I won't make that mistake again!
Sorry to hear that, and I don't think Lexington DT's is scheduled to become available over Dish anytime soon.
This Page seems to make it fairly clear the status of local HD reception availability.
How far are you from the local towers? I thought I was too far, but receive them well at 55 miles. Unless you're just not at all interested in using OTA.
Hope all works out for you.

HardDriver said:

If you didn't "hear" what was said, "move" your service to Nashville 175 miles away and subscribe to the local stations so you will get the Nashville HD LIL stations.

HDTVFanAtic said:
If you didn't "hear" what was said, "move" your service to Nashville 175 miles away and subscribe to the local stations so you will get the Nashville HD LIL stations.

This whole "moving" business raises all kinds of questions for me:

How does one resolve the phone issues? I know my account has always been tied to my phone number, so if all of a sudden I "move" to the neighboring DMA but my phone number doesn't change, won't that raise a flag?

Also, what about the phone connections to the receivers being a different area code, prefix, etc? When they "call" in to report PPVs, etc won't that raise a flag?

And, what if you need something shipped?

To me it would seem more feasable for one person to have 2 addresses - like say a 2nd home or camp in a different dma and have one of the receivers listed as being there? But again, there's the phone call in issue?

kdg454 said:
Sorry to hear that, and I don't think Lexington DT's is scheduled to become available over Dish anytime soon.
This Page seems to make it fairly clear the status of local HD reception availability.
No, it doesn't. I'm currently receiving all of the New York locals in SD along with my Lexington affiliates in SD. If I can get the NY stations in SD, why should I assume it would be any different for HD? That makes absolutely no sense to me, nor have I ever seen anything like that mentioned by Dish or anyone on this forum.

How far are you from the local towers? I thought I was too far, but receive them well at 55 miles. Unless you're just not at all interested in using OTA.
Hope all works out for you.
I'm 77 miles away with half the Appalachian mountain range in between.

HDTVFanAtic said:
That sounds like a pretty ridiculous idea to me. :rolleyes:

E* is not offering out of market HD locals at this time. I have heard that after June, there may be a change in that. E* has only offered HD networks (with the exception of CBS) for just over one month. I think E* should be given some time to work out have HD networks available to everyone. I seems a lot of people want them now, but it would be nearly impossible for E* to deliver to the entire country in that amount of time. E* has stated a lot of customers just have to wait. It was the same thing when they started offering Voom.

waltinvt said:

How does one resolve the phone issues? I know my account has always been tied to my phone number, so if all of a sudden I "move" to the neighboring DMA but my phone number doesn't change, won't that raise a flag?

Also, what about the phone connections to the receivers being a different area code, prefix, etc? When they "call" in to report PPVs, etc won't that raise a flag?

And, what if you need something shipped?

To me it would seem more feasable for one person to have 2 addresses - like say a 2nd home or camp in a different dma and have one of the receivers listed as being there? But again, there's the phone call in issue?

Simple.

You have vonage and the VOIP telephone can be any area code you want.

It's the only telephone I have so if you want it connected it to a phone line, that's what you are going to get.

Quite frankly, I doubt they look at DMA vs area codes. I think they want it reporting in from 1 number.

Hypethetical 'move"

What do they do if someone really has 2 legit addresses?

Say I maintain a small apartment for working in Boston part of the week but my residence and main home is in Vermont where the family is. I sometimes bring my 622 receiver to Boston and want to get the Boston HD LiLs which I'm not entitled to in Vermont. And to complicate it even further, when I'm in Boston, my only phone is a cell phone with a NH number.

How would Dish handle this?

Walt, I'm pretty sure Dish requires 2 separate accounts if you want service at 2 different addresses.

My Mom lives in the Ada-Sherman DMA only two stations total, which prohibit dish from delivering OKC which is available to the local cable system and anyone just a few miles away across the county line. I have her account set up with her address as the billing address and phone number 580 area code and the service address is her sister in OKC 405 area code. She gets the OKC locals and the receivers are plugged into the phone now for 4+ years and there has never been a problem.

Yeah, at one time D* and E* probably would ahve liked t track locations by using the phone number, but it's simply not possible any more.

It's just to ensure they're all at the same location - but E* hasn't figured out that even that is easy to beat.

waltinvt said:

Get Vonage and select another area code: http://www.vonage.com/avail.php. For example, I have several E*less family members in the Detroit area. I could tell E*that I moved and report my new address and phone number accordingly. Since all three of my receivers are plugged into a phone jack, the CallerID would always support that I live in the 313 area code and appropriate zone. Why would I do this: so I could see Detoit area sports: Wings, Michigan football, Pistons, etc. Why would I not do this: I would loose EPG listings for the Washington, Baltimore, Richmond and Charlottesville OTA channels I receive. (the only reason I subscribe to locals is for EPG) Also, it would be a pain in the ass if I should have to replace one of my receivers under DHPP.

Would E* care of I do this? Probably not since their audits would show that I live in the Detroit area (they comply with FCC guidelines) and I pay my bills on time. Personally, its more of a pain in the ass to do this so I just subscribe to ESPN Gameplan (college football) and NHL Center Ice....problem solved.

They dont check area codes vs. actual service location, otherwise I would be shut off. As was previously stated, they only care that all receivers call in from 1 number.

Also, on my VoIP service, I can program the outgoing CID number to display, so I could change it to anything I want. The days of an area code being tied to a specific location (for tracking purposes) is essentially over IMO.

Don't forget, you would still have to be in the spot beam coverage area to get those locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts