Can I get away with component for HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

miamicanes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
Are any channels or shows currently downrezzed via component video... or likely to be over the next 2-3 years? I don't really care about HBO/Showtime/Starz/PPV (I'm too cheap to pay for them anyway), but I'd be absolutely livid if they began downrezzing local channels, HGTV/HD, DiscoveryHD, etc as well after I spent several hundred dollars running RapidRun PC cable for component video throughout the entire house...

If HDCP is absolutely mandatory for HD output, can I at least connect a HR20/21 to the main TV via HDCP, and simultaneously get 960x540 component video from it to distribute to TVs elsewhere in the house? Or does connecting a TV via HDMI disable component output -- downrezzed or not -- entirely?

Are any channels or shows currently downrezzed via component video... or likely to be over the next 2-3 years? I don't really care about HBO/Showtime/Starz/PPV (I'm too cheap to pay for them anyway), but I'd be absolutely livid if they began downrezzing local channels, HGTV/HD, DiscoveryHD, etc as well after I spent several hundred dollars running RapidRun PC cable for component video throughout the entire house...

If HDCP is absolutely mandatory for HD output, can I at least connect a HR20/21 to the main TV via HDCP, and simultaneously get 960x540 component video from it to distribute to TVs elsewhere in the house? Or does connecting a TV via HDMI disable component output -- downrezzed or not -- entirely?

I haven't run across any yet that are downrezzing the component, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do it starting tomorrow. As for your 2nd question, all outputs are active on the HR2X/H2X boxes now, but I don't know how things will work if they do have a channel that used HDCP to downrez the non-HDMI outputs. Sorry, I know you want a definitive answer but that's all I know.

Didn't get a Direct answer (no pun intended);) from Direct, but from one of the Tech Know Guides who also is a member here... no downrezzing in the foreseen future for now...

Just curious why they would even consider it in the future?

His reasoning is if any HD recorders come out that allow recording via component or if they are out, it is activated...

Ok, thanks. Would this apply to normal viewing or would they just put some code in the signal to mess up recordings like HBO used to do to ruin VCR recordings?

I love the picture on my older RS better than the newer sets I see at BB/CC. I'd hate to have to replace it.

I had a certified TV calibration man tweak my HD TV and we found better resolution on component than on hdmi.

I was just about to ask this same question... in my case I'd like to know so I can use my own DVR with hauppauge's new upcoming device that records 1080i/720p via component: HD PVR Product overview

When that box comes out, I have every intention of getting it and (finally) upgrading to DirecTV HD with a non-DVR HD receiver. Right now I still have an old SD receiver connected via MythTV, but am looking for a way to upgrade my current setup to HD to compliment my 52" LCD :)

I had a certified TV calibration man tweak my HD TV and we found better resolution on component than on hdmi.
Dont you mean better picture quality. At this point the resolution is the same

To different, yet related, things

I've been getting away with component since the HDMI port on my H20 crapped out. I've been considering hooking the HDMI again with the new HR20 I have. I may as well since right now that HDMI port (on the TV) is being inhabited by a now defunct DVI-HDMI cord that I used to watch movies from my computer onto my television. That has now proven useless since I got TVersity to stream to my 360, and my Wii, and my HR20.

Even if DirecTV did start to downrez the channels, how could they do it for component and not HDMI? My RPTV doesn't have HDMI and the component looks great.

I'm sure D* does not want to do that as the backlash and customer support issues would be a nightmare. They could still be forced by the studios.

My black levels aren't as detailed over HDMI.

It's possible that eventually they'll use HDCP for PPV, but never for regular TV. Not with cable companies shooting half of them over clearQAM. Locals they'll never do, because HD STBs all go through component. Not to mention the fact that there are still a lot of people without HDMI.

Component is not as good as HDMI. HDMI is perfect, digital. If component looks better, there's something wrong with your setup, or you.

It's possible that eventually they'll use HDCP for PPV, but never for regular TV. Not with cable companies shooting half of them over clearQAM. Locals they'll never do, because HD STBs all go through component. Not to mention the fact that there are still a lot of people without HDMI.

Component is not as good as HDMI. HDMI is perfect, digital. If component looks better, there's something wrong with your setup, or you.
That is not true Component and HDMI are both HD. With Component you can adjust the colors more and realy dial in the picture maybe its just you.

I agree with both of you. For many users HDMI is better, it is digital.

For users that are into callibration or analog, component is great

I use both, since I was too cheap to get an HDMI splitter :)

Lets all back down on the use of the work "you", thanks.

Joehan99 - WELCOME to the site!

I agree with both of you. For many users HDMI is better, it is digital.

For users that are into callibration or analog, component is great

I use both, since I was too cheap to get an HDMI splitter :)

Lets all back down on the use of the work "you", thanks.

Joehan99 - WELCOME to the site!
Thanks I've been checking out the site for awhile and you guys all bnow alot!!!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts