Can i get some major networks - TVfools info supplied

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
UPDATE #2
large fringe antenna simply does not get a decent signal, I placed it in the attic, no go. Tried in the front of the house, nothing.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-30-2476-/30-2476

Attached the tiny 30-2485 antenna, and aimed south and have both 39.1 40,1 and 62.1 ? SD stations, NBC and Cozi, and Fox affliate, my guess is those are 100 miles away and that tiny antenna performs admirably

You must not have assembled the 30-2476 correctly... they are tricky, can you post a picture? If it is assembled correctly it should pick up your VHF stations, but two of those you list- 39.1 and 62.1 are both UHF... which the 30-2476 wasn't designed for. That's where the combiner Iceberg mentioned before comes in.

Attached the tiny 30-2485 antenna, and aimed south and have both 39.1 40,1 and 62.1 ? SD stations, NBC and Cozi, and Fox affliate, my guess is those are 100 miles away and that tiny antenna performs admirably
It seems likely that this is because the antenna you chose is not the appropriate type for the UHF stations while the ''tiny" antenna is broadband (VHF low - FM - VHF high - UHF). The long Yagi-Uda isn't ideal for any of the nearby stations as they are either low VHF (channel 5) or UHF. There are a few UHF high stations but most are well hidden from your location.

It seems likely that this is because the antenna you chose is not the appropriate type for the UHF stations while the ''tiny" antenna is broadband (VHF low - FM - VHF high - UHF). The long Yagi-Uda isn't ideal for any of the nearby stations as they are either low VHF (channel 5) or UHF. There are a few UHF high stations but most are well hidden from your location.

KTTV (FOX) is Real/Virtual 11; KCOP (MyN) is real/virtual 13; KABC is real/virtual 7; and KCAL is real/virtual 9 are all VHF High and should come in at no problem at his location with the 30-2476 VHF antenna he has.

When you look at the 30-2476, are all of the short elements on the front with the three longest reflectors on the very back? That's the mistake most people make (including me!). Mine came with one of the longer rods attached to the front, I just flipped it around and locked into place without looking. I wondered why it didn't work, until I looked at a better diagram.

KTTV (FOX) is Real/Virtual 11; KCOP (MyN) is real/virtual 13; KABC is real/virtual 7; and KCAL is real/virtual 9 are all VHF High and should come in at no problem at his location with the 30-2476 VHF antenna he has.
It probably isn't reasonable to ignore that they are all two-edge obstructed. My point is that one broadband antenna may be sufficient and almost certainly cheaper than two or three narrow band antennas.

Looking at the directions though, it may be useful to notch the VHF antenna in with a joiner as Iceberg suggests as one big fringe broadband antenna probably isn't going to grab the stations to the west while pointing southeast. Again, it comes down to what major networks are important.

If a rotator is being considered, a broadband antenna would be the only logical choice.

upload_2016-1-19_9-10-47.png

Right... I'm not disagreeing the signals are weak, but they're all he has if he wants all the major networks. Keeping his smaller combo pointed in one direction, and pointing the VHF only in the opposite direction at least gives him a fighting chance. I find it hard to believe that it won't pick up something if assembled & aimed correctly. Practically every distant station I receive is 2Edge, and I'm in the south with mountains and hills to deal with. 2Edge is iffy, but isn't impossible like some believe.

Reactions: Mr Tony
OK guys...lets talk about this some more.
the 2476 (large vhf fringe) simply could not get a signal when I aimed it due west to the LA stations
the 2485 did OK aiming south to the San diego stations (nothing when aimed west ...this yielded 39.1 39.2 and 69.1-3
The rain today wiped out all these stations too

I can always pick up 24,1-4 and 33.1-9.

It is possible I did not do the 2476 right, I stuck it back in the box, any chance someone can post a pic of the way it is supposed to be assembled?

Lastly if I wanted a better antenna for the 39.1 and 69.1 from the SD market, would there be a suggestion for that rather than the tint 2485 which is being affected by weather today ?

OK guys...lets talk about this some more.
the 2476 (large vhf fringe) simply could not get a signal when I aimed it due west to the LA stations
the 2485 did OK aiming south to the San diego stations (nothing when aimed west ...this yielded 39.1 39.2 and 69.1-3
The rain today wiped out all these stations too

I can always pick up 24,1-4 and 33.1-9.

Numbers do not lie. They were never very good for Los Angeles stations, and you have issues with levels from both Mt Wilson to the west as well as the mostly UHF transmitters east of you. These numbers also assume a clear line of sight path, and what many people do not appreciate is simply how tall the mountains are in the Los Angeles area. Your line of sight is
much worse than the numbers because of your local obstructions such as the neighbor's house. The only reason that San Diego area stations are working is that you have a partial water path and nothing major in the way.
But 100 plus miles is too far to expect consistent uninterrupted reception.
As a comparison, when I lived in Santa Barbara in the early 90s, we had San Diego coming in stronger than Los Angeles at least 1 day out of every 3. And Los Angeles was 95 miles away. Local natives explained it to me in stories about the changing marine layer and shooting straight across the water to San Diego. I would have to also suggest that you may have greatly varying signal levels between you and San Diego that also change because of variations in that water path. Digital signals are normally unreliable past 70 miles in situations with the line of sight path you have in the 100 to 110 mile path from your location to San Diego and Tijuana transmitters.
It is entirely possible that you have made a mistake in installing an antenna properly, but even the best antenna in the world would not guarantee reliable reception 24/7. Park a Ku-band dish on 103 West to get the four NBC time zone feeds full time. Get a Roku 3 or their latest stick that supports new signals, and connect to high speed Internet. All of your local stations are available (some for free, some may cost you money), but you are more or less beating a dead horse and the frustration levels must be huge. A Roku device will cost less than the antennas you have purchased, and I assure you that you will have better luck in getting both San Diego and Los Angeles signals. Good luck.

It is possible I did not do the 2476 right, I stuck it back in the box, any chance someone can post a pic of the way it is supposed to be assembled?

Lastly if I wanted a better antenna for the 39.1 and 69.1 from the SD market, would there be a suggestion for that rather than the tint 2485 which is being affected by weather today ?

I just had a roku2 and from what I gathered nothing live was on there, its all stuff that you can stream off different sources but was not live TV. Exception being was the slingTV. The closest thing to streaming stuff is KODI on android TV box, there are some live stations on there, but again not my locals at all. Frustration levels are not too high, I actually enjoy the chase but at somepoint, you draw the line and say F it

I just had a roku2 and from what I gathered nothing live was on there, its all stuff that you can stream off different sources but was not live TV. Exception being was the slingTV. The closest thing to streaming stuff is KODI on android TV box, there are some live stations on there, but again not my locals at all. Frustration levels are not too high, I actually enjoy the chase but at somepoint, you draw the line and say F it

Roku announced recently that all support has ended for Roku 1 and 2 boxes (and this includes some obsolete so-called Special edition sticks marketed at places including WalMart). This means that you must either use the Roku 3 or get the latest Roku stick that IS supported by them. There may be issues on the Roku 3 and 4 about whether or not your HD monitor will work with those models; the 4 being for Ultra HD and the 3 only having HDMI connections, with no RCA inputs.
But the newer units DO have live TV on them and I would investigate Sling TV with a Los Angeles area registration. It might solve your problems.
Again, good luck.

Roku announced recently that all support has ended for Roku 1 and 2 boxes (and this includes some obsolete so-called Special edition sticks marketed at places including WalMart). This means that you must either use the Roku 3 or get the latest Roku stick that IS supported by them. There may be issues on the Roku 3 and 4 about whether or not your HD monitor will work with those models; the 4 being for Ultra HD and the 3 only having HDMI connections, with no RCA inputs.
But the newer units DO have live TV on them and I would investigate Sling TV with a Los Angeles area registration. It might solve your problems.
Again, good luck.
SlingTV doesn't have any locals, yet. I would assume Dish might be working on them, if they can break them out as a stand alone package.

I think in your case we go back to the beginning... if OTA isn't going to work then the Dish Welcome Pack is your best option. $20 a month, includes locals and a basic selection of other channels (most of which are now in HD).

Reactions: Mr Tony and Tampa8
Roku just isn't the answer for live local stations, USTVNow can be, it has Harrisburg PA (I believe) locals. For getting your own locals aside from OTA Welcome pack really is the answer. If you want to be able to record it will be $7 in fees, no receiver fee if you use a VIP receiver. If you want not fees, then get a 211K receiver, add an external hard drive which makes it a DVR but with no fees, for a one time $40 cost.

If the 2476 can't dig up the LA stations (after you're sure it was correctly assembled), you pretty much need to give up on getting LA OTA from your location. Your in situ testing has proven that's not an practical option and no amount of reasoning can fix that.

I'd try something in the Channel Master Advantage 60/Winegard HD8200 class (or perhaps the 100 mile class) that picks up all bands. That said, make sure the vendor will accept returns. Someone recently mentioned that Home Depot accepts returns (but you'll want to confirm with the local yokels).

I'm of a mind that betting the farm on limited bandwidth antennas is going to sting at some point; if not soon, probably when the next ATSC standard begins deployment.

UPDATE #3
Reassembled the 2476 and went in the back yard up a bit higher on the property and got 11.1 and 13.1, 2,3 LA stations !!! Next step go up the roof and try it on the roof next to the chimney and see if I can get same or more stations. I would be totally OK with those. Can I combine a 2485 full range hdtv antenna with the VHF high and NOT lose any signal quality or strength ? I had purchased this item 2230
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/STELLAR-LABS-33-2230-/33-2230

there is a 3.5db loss so signals that are "barely there" you may lose. But as long as they are somewhat decent signals you should be OK.

UPDATE
went up on the roof and installed the antenna, seem to get 7.1,2,3 and 9.1 The only channels I care for. Now lets see if I lose enough signal as it gets to my TV

SUCCESS.......Ran the wire into the attic space where I found a huge spool of wire meant to wire up satellite TV, I used one of the 4 feeds there and connected to the media conx box / closet and down to the main TV. I get 7.1 7.2 7.3 and 9.1. Also there is the 24.1-4 (PBS from a different direction, was previously picked up easuly) plus 30.1-30.8 (garbage stations). At this point there is no pixelation. If that continues to be the case, I MAY use the VHF UHF combiner and get the San Diego channels as well (39.1 and 69.1). You guys, I thank you for the advice. I must admit, I thought I could get more of the VHF channels but overall happy with abc and my fav in the evenings KCAL9. I guess I just needed the elevation, and my previous tries on my balcony and later in the attic simply were just the wrong locations.

Reactions: Mr Tony and FTA4PA
So at one location you got 11 & 13 but higher up you got 7 & 9?

weird.....since they are all in the same area. But with 2edge that is one of the oddball things

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)