Can I give OTA locals priority?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What do you mean? Can you give an example?

If you're talking about a series link, just make sure it is higher in the list than a SL on a sat channel.

You'll still be able to record 2 things at once with the AM21.

You'd double-tap the Record button while on the OTA version of FOX in your guide. You'll see the multiple circle-R icon in the guide wherever House appears on that channel, and that one only.

Yes you can set up Series Links on OTA channels. You can even remove the the sat Fox 29 HD channel from your guide altogether once you get your AM21 and have the OTA 29.1 Fox in the guide. But why would you want to do that? The MPEG4 HD locals look just as good as the OTA version IMHO.

I just want to clarify something regarding the AM21. If the local station is available in HD from D* in addition to OTA, can I receive and record from either source? The reason for my question is because of this information on the D* site:

You're getting SD and HD locals from DIRECTV, but want your off-air local HD channels too
You'll need an off-air antenna (sold in major electronics retailers) in addition to the DIRECTV® AM21 Off-Air Tuner to view off-air local HD channels that are not available through DIRECTV satellites. Those channels will be integrated into your DIRECTV® Plus HD DVR (HR21) Advanced Program Guide.

I don't want to purchase this add on and then learn that I can't receive over the air channels if D* has them available via satellite.

With the HR20 which has built in OTA tuner, I can have both the sat HD and OTA HD channel in my guide and I can record from either one.

With the HR20 which has built in OTA tuner, I can have both the sat HD and OTA HD channel in my guide and I can record from either one.

We don't have HD-LIL here yet, but hopefully soon...so that being said, how does the HR20 distinguish on the EPG which is OTA and which is HD-LIL? Does the HD-LIL totally replace the SD locals and therefore Channel 2 WCBD would simply go from being SD one day to HD the next and everything looks the same? Or do they have some sort of ".1" or "-1" suffix? I think I know, but just checking since when they do offer HD-LIL, I doubt they will carry all of my available OTA HD and will still want integration.

Yes you can set up Series Links on OTA channels. You can even remove the the sat Fox 29 HD channel from your guide altogether once you get your AM21 and have the OTA 29.1 Fox in the guide. But why would you want to do that? The MPEG4 HD locals look just as good as the OTA version IMHO.
Perhaps less likely to get signal interruption? I sometimes set my series to record on the OTA channel.

Last edited:
OTA channels will show a dash with a number in the guide to indicate which subchannel to receive, even if there is only one. For instance, Ch 4 (ABC) in Seattle shows up in the guide as SE4 for SD, 4 for HD via satellite and 4-1 for HD OTA. The HR21+AM21 works the same way as the HR20 (supposedly only 2 channels can be recorded at once, although I have never tried 3). The tuner is somewhat better than the one in my HR20-700.

So if you for whatever reason choose to allow SD channels to show in your favorites, all three formats would be visible and clearly defined? Okay, I can deal with that. I think I am like most people who will not check the box for the SD channel through the sat once I can get HD-LIL, but that is interesting that all three show.

OTA channels will show a dash with a number in the guide to indicate which subchannel to receive, even if there is only one. For instance, Ch 4 (ABC) in Seattle shows up in the guide as SE4 for SD, 4 for HD via satellite and 4-1 for HD OTA. The HR21+AM21 works the same way as the HR20 (supposedly only 2 channels can be recorded at once, although I have never tried 3). The tuner is somewhat better than the one in my HR20-700.

I also want to add that the HD LiL and OTA channels are a different color in the guide. The HD LiL are the same light blue that rest of the channels are where as the OTA channels are a darker shade of blue.

I have a couple of marginal OTA channels. I did a side-by-side test and one of them was dropping out on the HR20 but solid on the HR21+AM21. My AM21 is an early field test unit with a software bug which give incorrect reading for signal strength (actually a number based on bit error rate), so I can't give a numerical comparison.

This is my question.. on a side note :)

If This OTA DUAL tuner can be hooked to the HR21 with usb and not have any bandwidth problems. why did we need HDMI other than being able to charge us for a new cable and connecto, sounds like firewire-400/800 being a digital connection would have been more than enough :)

I am also curius about the recording 3 at once as well with this AM21

Status
Please reply by conversation.