I want to burn my recorded programs using my computer.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lilgrneyes

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I am not even sure if I can really do this. I am trying to burn recorded programs to DVDs for my husband who is deployed. They don't get much in the way of decent programs over there.

There is a USB port on the front of my DVR, and I thought my computer would recognize the hard drive. It didn't. Is there a way for me to do this that is considered legal and not hacking?

Thank you

You will need to get a capture card (or USB device) for your computer. There are many which will accept the composite video plus stereo audio via RCA cables. There is no (legal, at least) way to directly access the content of the hard drive.

The easyest way is burn them to a dvd stright from the DVR. You can purchase a dvd recorder at a good price that will do a good job.

The other option which I use is to have a digital camcorder that has pass-thru. You connect the DVR to the camcorder and the camcorder via firewire to the computer.

The easyest way is burn them to a dvd stright from the DVR. You can purchase a dvd recorder at a good price that will do a good job.
Please be aware that some configurations will NOT allow you to burn DVD of HBO, Showtime, etc. programming. My config is a HR20 and LG DVD recorder. When I attempt to record to DVD it fails and I get a banner that stating it's copyrighted material. Of course the courts have ruled you may make one backup copy, but...
If you are trying to record regular network programming, you may be OK. Good Luck:cool:

Please be aware that some configurations will NOT allow you to burn DVD of HBO, Showtime, etc. programming. My config is a HR20 and LG DVD recorder. When I attempt to record to DVD it fails and I get a banner that stating it's copyrighted material. Of course the courts have ruled you may make one backup copy, but...
If you are trying to record regular network programming, you may be OK. Good Luck:cool:

Some brands of DVD recorders are picking up the "flag" and some are not. I'm using Magnavox and have not seen it yet. I record a lot of movies from premium channels. I suppose it will eventually apply to all brands, but there are ways around it when that time comes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts