can i hide wally?

When the batteries get weak the signal declines.
OK, so whatever the decline of SS might be, the remote will still put that SS out regardless of direct LOS or closet location of the Wally. Did I get that right?
ok then you care to explain this then? once the batteries go weak then there gonna be problems with the client responding since the set signal is getting weak??? iv'e had my clients tell me hey you need new batteries. though it's not that often
I think those are subjective observations and might not hold up to careful measurements. Variables not discussed:
  1. Which remote we're talking about.
  2. How good the batteries were to begin with.
  3. How much each remote is used, as opposed to program watching time.
  4. How long the buttons are depressed, e.g. the microphone button which requires a long press.

That is easy. When the batteries get weak the signal declines. Another way to explain that is to think of a toy battery powered merry-go-round. As the batteries weaken the motor for that toy slows down. The point is, the batteries for the remote don't weaken any faster just because the receiver is in a closet. But I do see your point that the signal needs to be at a fuller power to go through walls.
and this is what i was talking about!!!! :)

OK, so whatever the decline of SS might be, the remote will still put that SS out regardless of direct LOS or closet location of the Wally. Did I get that right?

I think those are subjective observations and might not hold up to careful measurements. Variables not discussed:
  1. Which remote we're talking about.
  2. How good the batteries were to begin with.
  3. How much each remote is used, as opposed to program watching time.
  4. How long the buttons are depressed, e.g. the microphone button which requires a long press.
we have direct. but i noticed that one of our mini's that's 75 FT away from where we sit screams for batteries than the other 2 that's right in front of us. and we have the backlit remotes.. though we have converted that client over to alexa!!!