Can I keep the old $9.99 HD package with the 211 ?

JimMcC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
I just got off the phone with Dish. I wanted to upgrade my two 811's to two 211's, and keep my current $9.99 HD package(that's all I subscribe to). I was told I couldn't keep the $9.99 HD only package, because it's not compatible with the 211. Is that true? I don't want any basic programming packages or more expensive HD packages. Thanks.

I just got off the phone with Dish. I wanted to upgrade my two 811's to two 211's, and keep my current $9.99 HD package(that's all I subscribe to). I was told I couldn't keep the $9.99 HD only package, because it's not compatible with the 211. Is that true? I don't want any basic programming packages or more expensive HD packages. Thanks.

hehe, i beleive that for $ .01 increase, you can upgrade to the $10 HD pack.

its a no-brainer.

That doesn't apply to me. If you read my post again, you'll see I ONLY subscribe to the $9.99 per month HD package. My bill is $20.99 per month. $9.99 for HD package, $6.00 access fee, and $5.00 lease fee. Is there a certain phone # at Dish I can call to get the correct info?

The $10 package is only available if you subscribe to something "qualifying" such as AT-something or Latino.

Otherwise the closest you can do is the $29.99 HD-only package. It has at least three times the channels you have now with the $9.99 package, plus you'd lose the access fee for not having a "qualifying" package.

I thought for sure I read here about a few people that upgraded to the 211, and were able to keep the old $9.99 per month HD package. Anyone? If what you're saying is correct, I'm trying to figure out my new bill. The HD Absolute is $29.99 per month, and then I will be leasing two 211's. Do I pay the lease fee on one or both? Thanks.

Thanks. So I guess my new bill would be $34.99 per month? A $14 per month increase for channels I don't even want. The only 2 I want are HDNet Movies and Espn-HD(For football season). And then maybe they'll screw around with the HD Absolute package in February.

I thought for sure I read here about a few people that upgraded to the 211, and were able to keep the old $9.99 per month HD package. Anyone? If what you're saying is correct, I'm trying to figure out my new bill. The HD Absolute is $29.99 per month, and then I will be leasing two 211's. Do I pay the lease fee on one or both? Thanks.

I upgraded to 3 211s and still have the OLD HD pack. It's gone Aug1 but I wanted to keep HDNET movies without paying more until I really have to.

nsaspook, do you subscribe to the $9.99 HD package ONLY? That's what I have now with my 811's, but I was told today by Dish I couldn't keep it with the 211's.

Even if they let you keep the old 9.99 HD pak (and I doubt they will, its not a package but was an add on and will probably simply disappear on 8/1) its not worth it. They will charge you the $7 no HD fee and $6 No base package bringing the total to $23. For $7 more you waive both of those fees and get many more channels.

If they force people off of HD Absolute come next February then you can get the two channels you want with the recently announced $25 turbo package plus the $10 platinum add on.

nsaspook, do you subscribe to the $9.99 HD package ONLY? That's what I have now with my 811's, but I was told today by Dish I couldn't keep it with the 211's.

Nope, I have a regular package + HD. I'm ready to upgrade but want the best deal. (the HD is already pre-paid for a year "discount")

Thanks. So I guess my new bill would be $34.99 per month? A $14 per month increase for channels I don't even want. The only 2 I want are HDNet Movies and Espn-HD(For football season). And then maybe they'll screw around with the HD Absolute package in February.

But don't forget, that with the $14 increase, you'll also get ESPN2HD and hopefully ESPNUHD when it comes out.

Thanks guys. So does $34.99 per month sound right for two leased 211's? $29.99 for the HD Absolute package, and $5.00 for the lease on second 211? They also said they need to change the dish to the 1000. Is that right? I forgot to ask if the dish upgrade is free. Anyone know?

Thanks guys. So does $34.99 per month sound right for two leased 211's? $29.99 for the HD Absolute package, and $5.00 for the lease on second 211? They also said they need to change the dish to the 1000. Is that right? I forgot to ask if the dish upgrade is free. Anyone know?

You will pay $7 second receiver fee, not $5. The chs that your 811's looked at are on 110. the new pkg requires either a 1000.2 to receive 129 or a seperate dish on 61.5.

Thanks. The lease fee went up then. I pay $5.00 per month now. When they change the dish to the 1000, is it free?

Last edited:
Thanks. The lease fee went up then. I pay $5.00 per month now. When they change the dish to the 1000, is it free?

It should be assuming you need one. But why do you need to switch to 1000? Depending on where you are located you do currently need a dish pointed to 61.5 or 129. Since you already had HD I would have thought you had one.

For what it's worth, the CSR told me they need to switch my Dish 500 to the 1000. I only subscribe to the $9.99 per month HD package. My plan is to switch to the HD Absolute package. I have an appointment for Wed. coming up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)