Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasonbonz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
Kansas City, MO
Greetings All:

I am considering moving forward with the Whole Home Service with Directv.. I understand they will install DECA to connect to the receivers.

I was wondering if this could only be used to connect to receivers or if there was a way to leverage the coax infrastructure for connecting to a computer for network/internet service... Any connectors needed?

Thanks in advance...

They can hook it up to your router to give your receivers an internet connection but the computer would hook up to the router separately.

Yes, you could use a DECA + power inserter to provide an ethernet connection to a computer--provided that at some other point you have a similar DECA + power inserter to connect your coax network to your router. Keep in mind, though, that such a setup may impact performance of MRV and won't be supported by DirecTV.

Yes, you could use a DECA + power inserter to provide an ethernet connection to a computer--provided that at some other point you have a similar DECA + power inserter to connect your coax network to your router. Keep in mind, though, that such a setup may impact performance of MRV and won't be supported by DirecTV.

Interesting... This is a computer I use for Directv2PC and then also stream music from to my DVR.. Would this type of set up be more or less efficient that just the wireliess N connection I have now?

Would the converter need to be obtained from Directv?

Thanks for your help..

Interesting... This is a computer I use for Directv2PC and then also stream music from to my DVR.. Would this type of set up be more or less efficient that just the wireliess N connection I have now?

Would the converter need to be obtained from Directv?

Thanks for your help..

For DirecTV2PC you'd probably see an improvement, for music, probably none. However, the downside is that DECA/MRV wasn't designed to carry your computer's generic internet traffic. It's tuned primarily for DirecTV video only. That doesn't mean it won't work, and chances are you won't have any problems, but you might, especially if you have more than one computer and transfer files or have a very fast internet connection and do a lot of downloading.

And you won't be able to get a DECA adapter from DirecTV on your own. If you wanted to go this route you need a DECA + a power inserter. I think the best place to get them right now is solidsignal.com

I have a HR 23 & HR 22. Could I attach the ethernet cable from the DECA adapter that I would need for either to a switch,& then from the switch attach another ethernet cable to either bo:mad:naturally I'd have one DECA for each box plus the DECA w/ power inserter),or.....skip the switch route,just have the DECA hooked up as it is supposed to be,& just use the second ethernet connection as a pass-through for a computer or whatever?

OK. I am going to make a suggestion not knowing what type of internet connection you have and how easy it would be to run a second coax.

If you have a cable modem why not use the existing coax to move the modem over next to your PC. At that point you would be able to have Directv run a new coax to that location to attach the deca network to your home network.

OK. I am going to make a suggestion not knowing what type of internet connection you have and how easy it would be to run a second coax.

If you have a cable modem why not use the existing coax to move the modem over next to your PC. At that point you would be able to have Directv run a new coax to that location to attach the deca network to your home network.

For me, this would not work as I have 3 computers and the router is already next to on.

On the topic, I am good...thanks to all for their help...

I have a HR 23 & HR 22. Could I attach the ethernet cable from the DECA adapter that I would need for either to a switch,& then from the switch attach another ethernet cable to either bo:mad:naturally I'd have one DECA for each box plus the DECA w/ power inserter),or.....skip the switch route,just have the DECA hooked up as it is supposed to be,& just use the second ethernet connection as a pass-through for a computer or whatever?

I asked this on the DirecTV forums, because I am now using a 4-port wireless bridge for the receiver (for VOD), my blu-ray player and the TV. Apparently you can run the Ethernet cable from the DECA into a switch instead of the back of the receiver, and then connect up the receiver from the switch and connect whatever else you want to the switch also.

I haven't tried it but there's no reason to expect it not to work.

I asked this on the DirecTV forums, because I am now using a 4-port wireless bridge for the receiver (for VOD), my blu-ray player and the TV. Apparently you can run the Ethernet cable from the DECA into a switch instead of the back of the receiver, and then connect up the receiver from the switch and connect whatever else you want to the switch also.

I haven't tried it but there's no reason to expect it not to work.

It will work, but it's less than optimal. DECA is tuned for MRV, and adding non-MRV traffic clogs the works, as it were. Probably won't notice a huge difference, but if you ever have to call for help, a tech will want to undo that setup.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hr20-700 tuner/transponder question

Locals ID'ed by Call letters?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)