Locals ID'ed by Call letters?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Digital Logic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Norwalk, CA
before LA locals that weren't ID'ed by call letters were SD versions, but it seems that all my locals are now ID'ed on the guide with call letters. did we just get more? i noticed KMEX 34 is now HD but the others look the same.

In the past they did SD locals like this: LA34 with LA being the market.
Chicago would be something like CH5.

After some time they started doing new market SD under call numbers.

They have done all HD locals using call numbers.

It wouldn't suprise me if they eventually updated them all, but I would guess if you see something new they just added an HD station.

I wonder if it is based on receiver.

I had a R15 and mine showed as
MN5
MN9
for Minneapolis
MK12 for Mankato (my market....they only have CBS..the rest come from Minneapolis)

but I swapped it for a R22 and now they show the callsign
KEYC 12
KMSP 9
KARE 11
etc..

I wonder if it is based on receiver.

I had a R15 and mine showed as
MN5
MN9
for Minneapolis
MK12 for Mankato (my market....they only have CBS..the rest come from Minneapolis)

but I swapped it for a R22 and now they show the callsign
KEYC 12
KMSP 9
KARE 11
etc..

Iceberg I noticed the difference on mine were HD vs SD. But with the updates to R22 now have them matching my HR22.

Well in Chicago, they changed CH50 SD to WPWR, which is NOT offered in HD.
But, none of the other SD's have changed. It affected ALL my receivers, including SD Tivo's & a Hughes HAH.

Here in my hometown. It saids:
GV stands for Greenville, SC market

GV4: WYFF (NBC)
GV7: WSPA (CBS)
GV13: WLOS (ABC)
GV16: WGGS (Religious Independent)
GV21: WHNS (FOX)
ETV29: WNTV (PBS)
UNC33: WUNF (PBS)
GV40: WMYA (MyNetworkTV), but the description actually saids "WB television services from WMYA-TV 40...", are they aware that the WB is now defunct? and it supposed to say "My Network TV services..."
GV62: WYCW (CW)

The stations not carried on DirecTV at all are WRET 49 (PBS), WNEH 38 (PBS), and WNEG 32 (Independent).

some of those are outdated ;)

My local (KEYC Mankato) says "CBS from Minneapolis, MN" (even though Minneapolis has their own CBS WCCO....Mankato is its own market)

Is your zip code in the Minneapolis market, though?
no

Mankato is its own market. They are about 90 miles from Minneapolis. The only station in the market is KEYC 12 (CBS). A couple years ago they added Fox as a subchannel.

On the old receivers it showed as "MK12" (for Mankato). Directv customers get as their locals
CBS 12 (the only local)
ABC, FOX and NBC from Minneapolis via "distant", "Significantly viewed" whatever you want to call it
National PBS (they do not pipe in PBS from Minneapolis)

I still have the newspaper ad that says "Dish is forced to drop distants on 12/1/06 even if you qualify legally. Come to Directv and we'll give you your locals...as they had KEYC...Dish did not. Most of the market got NBC & Fox from distants

no

Mankato is its own market. They are about 90 miles from Minneapolis. The only station in the market is KEYC 12 (CBS). A couple years ago they added Fox as a subchannel.

On the old receivers it showed as "MK12" (for Mankato). Directv customers get as their locals
CBS 12 (the only local)
ABC, FOX and NBC from Minneapolis via "distant", "Significantly viewed" whatever you want to call it
National PBS (they do not pipe in PBS from Minneapolis)

I still have the newspaper ad that says "Dish is forced to drop distants on 12/1/06 even if you qualify legally. Come to Directv and we'll give you your locals...as they had KEYC...Dish did not. Most of the market got NBC & Fox from distants

I realize Mankato is its own market. However, DirecTV offers KEYC in a small portion (maybe one county?) of the Minneapolis-St Paul market as a significantly viewed channel. I was just wondering if you were in that area. That might be a reason for them to list it as "CBS from Minneapolis, MN" even though it really isn't.

But since you aren't...it's odd that they do that!

ALL of Chicago's SD locals now have call letters

Well when I got home last night, I found that ALL of the SD locals in Chicago are now ID'd by their call letters. (instead of CH2, CH5, etc.) This is true on ALL of my receivers, including my SD Tivo's & Hughes HAH.

Now OTOH, I also saw a receiver yesterday with St. Louis locals, & all of them are still ID'd by STxx.

I realize Mankato is its own market. However, DirecTV offers KEYC in a small portion (maybe one county?) of the Minneapolis-St Paul market as a significantly viewed channel. I was just wondering if you were in that area. That might be a reason for them to list it as "CBS from Minneapolis, MN" even though it really isn't.
interesting. Yeah Nicollet county is in the Mpls DMA but KEYC's studio's are in that county (North Mankato) so its considered neighboring in North Mankato ONLY;)
So if it wasnt considered neighboring local the KEYC studio wouldnt be able to get their own local on D* ;)

Maybe that is why Im still getting all the Mpls locals and KEYC when I "moved".
Techically Blue Earth County (where Mankato is) you get
KEYC
ABC, NBC, FOX from Mpls
Nat'l PBS

But North Mankato is in the Mpls DMA and you get all the Mpls stations + KEYC

With the addition of KMEX 34, LA now has 10 locals carried in HD on Direct. Does any other DMA have this many carried in HD on Direct?

KCBS (CBS) 2
KNBC (NBC) 4
KTLA (WB) 5
KABC (ABC) 7
KCAL (IND) 9
KTTV (FOX) 11
KCOP (UPN) 13
KCET (PBS) 28
KMEX (UNI) 34
KOCE (PBS) 50

attachment.php

To compare to DISH. Dish only carries 7 LA locals in HD

Attachments

• D HD Local List.png
    D HD Local List.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 217
Forget all your HD - I can't believe you guys have 27 SD locals carried by D*! :eek:
And here I thought the 17 SD locals carried in Chicago was a lot! :eek:

8 out of 12 are in HD here in Minneapolis (PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, CW, MY and if you can get KEYC Mankato in your locals thats in HD too)

only ones that arent
2 PBS stations (our 2nd PBS is 480i only and no HD channel...3rd PBS in market is in HD but not carried)
Ion
Independent

Last edited:
My HD channels in my area are:

WYFF 4 (NBC)
WSPA 7 (CBS)
WLOS 13 (ABC)
WHNS 21 (FOX)
UNC 33 (PBS)*
WYCW 62 (CW)

*Every single market in South Carolina has SCETV in HD except the Greenville/Spartanburg, SC market. So we had to get PBS-HD from UNC-TV instead. Also it saids "PBS Television servies from WUNL-TV 33 Greensboro, NC" instead of "Greenville, SC"

The ones aren't in HD on DirecTV in my area are ETV 29 (PBS), WMYA 40 (MyNetworkTV), and WGGS 16 (Independent) which the latter is carried only on 480i resolution.

We only get four HD out of eight channels, ours are

KDKA 2 (CBS)

WTAE 4 (ABC)

WPXI 11 (NBC)

WPGH 53 (FOX)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)