Can i mirror my HD receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zx6rman96

Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
indianapolis
I recently signed up with direct, and just opted for one tv. I recently purchased another lcd and would like it hooked up. I was just going to mirror it with coax but noticed there is no coax out on my HD receiver. Another option I thought I would do is just run rca's to it since my main is on HDMI...would this work ok. If so, what kind of IR remote should i look at getting to change channels. If I do decide to just end of getting another receiver, how exactly do I hook everything up. We ran a dual line into my cable enclosure, then straight to my HD receiver. I have a 3x4 zinwell multiswitch that is not in use. I believe my dual lines run into the 18v and 13v in...and from there rx1 to one receiver and rx2 to another? correct me if i'm wrong.... all new to satallite :confused:

I recently signed up with direct, and just opted for one tv. I recently purchased another lcd and would like it hooked up. I was just going to mirror it with coax but noticed there is no coax out on my HD receiver. Another option I thought I would do is just run rca's to it since my main is on HDMI...would this work ok. If so, what kind of IR remote should i look at getting to change channels. If I do decide to just end of getting another receiver, how exactly do I hook everything up. We ran a dual line into my cable enclosure, then straight to my HD receiver. I have a 3x4 zinwell multiswitch that is not in use. I believe my dual lines run into the 18v and 13v in...and from there rx1 to one receiver and rx2 to another? correct me if i'm wrong.... all new to satallite :confused:

What is the model number of receiver? If it has DVR, I believe it will need both of your coax lines from the dish. If not, you could run the second line to a new receiver at the new TV. You can run RCA's to the new TV from the current box, but the picture will not be High Def.
Another option, although still not HD, connect RCA's from receiver to a RF modulator, and run RF cable to second TV from receiver. As for remote control, many DirecTv receivers will allow use of RF remote, works all over the house with no pointing. On the back of your receiver, check to see if there is a RF remote antenna jack, looks the same as a coax Rf antenna jack.

Yeah, I was going to run rca's but use them on the component output, not sure if that would work sense HD is already being sent out via HDMI...i'll try it...but using the rf mod is a good idea for a quick fix, still no HD....but at least i would have my channels. I red somewhere on here that direct tv gives out RF remotes...is there a way to check this...i guess i could go in the other room and start hitting the channel button and see if it works. My receiver does have the RF remote antenna jack...what would i need to get?

You can order RF remotes on the DirecTV web site, IIRC they're about $25.00. The DirecTV branded HD DVR's and non-DVR receivers all support an RF remote, just that there's no external antenna, you can check by going to the remote setup and see if there's the RF/IR option for the setup.

As for the coax runs, really need to know what type of dish/LNB got installed. If you got the SWMLNB, which has only one cable coming from it, then you can use splitters to split the signal to up to 8 tuners (a DVR counts as 2 tuners) so just a wideband splitter and run a coax from it. If you got a non-SWM LNB the LNB has a built in 4 port switch so just run additional cables from it to the new STB, BTW if you orded an addition box from DirecTV they should come out and install it and run the cable, if needed, for you.

i'm really not sure what kind of dish it is...it's a slimline i know...and i know that I ran his dual line cable. I install ATT uverse, and went ahead and fished the walls for him into my enclosure, since he wanted to wrap my house! I'm only using one of the lines to feed my receiver since I do not have the dvr. I always thought they would charge me if they had to come out to install a receiver...thats why I want to do it myself...I can run the cable...it's just hooking it up to the multiswitch that confuses me.

Look at the LNB, if there are four coax outputs then just run new cable and connect it to one of the open connectors. If it has only 1 coax output then it's the SWMLNB and you go with a splitter after the power inserter.

If your DVR remote has an FCC sticker on the back, it is an RF-type and can be used from other rooms as long as you don't get too far away.

I use an RF modulator (radio shack) to take the component cables to coax. The coax runs to the small lcd in my kitchen. I don't an IR remote since the room is open though

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)