Can I modify my OTA antenna to get VHF-HI channel 7?

If you are right in Toronto, an amplifier will likely do more harm than good. A un-amplified high gain antenna is your best bet in a metropolitan environment.

If additional amplification is truly needed, a distribution amp is more tolerant to strong local signals than even the most tolerant pre-amp.

I don't think you will get a reliable signal from WNGS untill they make some changes. Most people in Toronto only get it when there are times of bounce. (once in a blue moon) It is only the Niagara Falls and St.Catherines area that get a good signal. Even Hamilton is having trouble with WNGS. Hopefully things will change once the digital transition takes place in the fall.

I still wanna try!

I have gotten it two or three times in the last ten days using an 8-bowtie antenna. I'm homing a Yagi VHF-HI antenna will help.

There is always some signal from this station so I am hoping I can depend on that!:)

Channel 7-13 Log Periodic Antenna Design

This web page shows how to make your own VHF-HI antenna. Fun! I will just chop down the gigantic fringe antenna that's just lying around at the cottage to the exact dimensions of this design.

Meanwhile I'll just have to listen to the Yankees on AM 880 direct from NYC until I get my project finished.

Question

On a Yagi antenna, which end faces the signal? Is it the end with the longer cross-pieces or the end with the shorter cross-pieces?

I know that a lot of antennas are set up 180 degrees off!;)

On a Yagi antenna, which end faces the signal? Is it the end with the longer cross-pieces or the end with the shorter cross-pieces?

I know that a lot of antennas are set up 180 degrees off!;)

The dipole that your wire connects to on a Yagi is at the back with the director elements in the front going towards the transmitter. The Log Periodic in the link in your previous post is end fed with the wire connected at the end facing the transmitter.

So a Log Periodic is not to be confused with a Yagi, and what I am planning to make is a Log Periodic?

Yes a Log Periodic is quite different from a Yagi and as you can see from the construction pictures each element is phase shifted across the antenna. When the two halves are put together in that design the rods alternate from top to bottom.

If you are strictly building it for channel 7 then you should consider a Yagi first as the gain can be fine tuned better to that channel. The log periodic is more broadband and that is why it is used in many consumer grade antennas. There are free Yagi design calculators online where you can program in your recycled element sizes and get precise dimensions for the construction of the antenna.

Miniature Yagi Antenna?

Does this notion make any sense? I ask because the program you referred me to specifies a minimum length of something like two and a half wavelengths. That makes an approximately 15 foot long antenna for channel 7.

I had in mind something smaller so my question is: do Yagi's work if they are made smaller?

If you really want to attempt to get the Buffalo stations, you need to get serious with a serious antenna and not just mess around making a frankantenna that will probably be worse than what you have now.

Simply add a VHF-high band antenna (as mentioned several times above) to what you already have and join them with either a UVSJ or an amplifier that can take seperate UHF and VHF inputs (pre-amp only if local stations are <10 miles away).

Most commercial antennas use elements that are 1/4 wave length.

Does this notion make any sense? I ask because the program you referred me to specifies a minimum length of something like two and a half wavelengths. That makes an approximately 15 foot long antenna for channel 7.

I had in mind something smaller so my question is: do Yagi's work if they are made smaller?

You can ignore the recommended length and build to the gain you desire. The Log Periodic had around 8 db of gain on channel 7 so a Yagi with similar gain is less than 10 feet.

If you have free scrap antenna parts around then build a small one and see how it works. If you want to more than dip your toe in the waters of antenna design there are other options out there. You could experiment with a bowtie antenna that has larger Vs or build a Gray-Hoverman and tweak it for VHF. Even a stacked dipole array may work. Just remember that the bigger you go the more professional your design should be. A big antenna that falls apart can do nasty things to you or your roof :)

Yagi Above OTA and FTA Antennas.jpegThanks Guys! I made a Yagi to get WNGS (WBBZ) Buffalo and it's working pretty well. Two Yankees games this week!

I'm glad to see you were able to receive WBBZ. What part of Toronto are you in? How is your reception with your newly built antenna? Consistant good signal or sporatic reception? I am in the process of making a 10 element CH10 antenna to get WHEC Rochester NY, as they are adding MeTV latter this month. I do not have a hope of receiving WBBZ unless they increase their power. Do you have any closer pictures showing the detail of your construction?

Larry

My reception is not 100%. I lose signal around sunset for instance. I was able to watch the baseball game last night from about 8:30 onward. Signal seems strongest in the middle of the night and middle of the day. Nonetheless, I am pleased.

My location is quite good as I am on the top of the bluffs in Scarborough at Birchmount and Danforth.

Sorry I don't have any other pictures. To make it I used an old deep-fringe antenna from the cottage. I used the Yagi designer in this thread. The wood is an eight foot piece of birch from Home Depot. I put 3/16 inch radius grooves in it using a router to hold the elements. I got my balun and joiner at Sal's. Make sure you use good quality hardware!

No, the government just gave the government-owned CBC network another year to complete its transition. As far as I have heard, all the other networks still must be digital by Aug. 31.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)