Can I move my address to get locals?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

charlieg

Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
us
I Live in northern ny and am looking for Fox and Cbs. I have read that I can call and tell dtv that I have moved to syracuse and to keep my billing address the same. I have a relative in syracuse that has time warner. I could possibly use his address. Would this work and what would be the consequences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive read this in these forums. This is why i'm asking. I want to pay for them but keep being denied. I am new to dtv and was told i would get my locals. When i complain im told that they are coming. They always say next month. I get nbc And abc out of nyc why cant i get cbs and fox?

you should be prosecuted and this site shouldnt tolerate outright fraud.
Prosecuted for paying for a using locals in a different address? What penal code will he be violating? It maybe wrong; it maybe immoral; it maybe violating DirecTVs contractual agreement; it is not prosecutable or criminal. At worst it is civil and fine-able

Don't know if this is actually stealing. I Live in northern ny and am looking for Fox and Cbs. I have read that I can call and tell dtv that I have moved to syracuse and to keep my billing address the same. I have a relative in syracuse that has time warner. I could possibly use his address. Would this work and what would be the consequences.

Get the title changed and change your post to REMOVE the words "STEALING or STEAL" and change it to how can i "MOVE" to get another DMA. In fact if you would do a search you would have found that answer.

Prosecuted for paying for a using locals in a different address? What penal code will he be violating? It maybe wrong; it maybe immoral; it maybe violating DirecTVs contractual agreement; it is not prosecutable or criminal. At worst it is civil and fine-able

Not to mention, most likely, Directv does not care.

As long as it doesn't get them in hot water by the FCC, UAB, etc. and result in fines or loss of licence or service.

By the way i rent in northern ny and own a home in florida panhandle. Dont know if renters have dtv. Could i use my fl address and have my box in ny get florida locals?

They might if they are concerned about being able to offer DNS. Most remember what happened to DISH Network for "not caring".

DISH getting into trouble for "not caring" had absolutely NOTHING to do with "movers" - it had EVERYTHING to do with them giving EVERYONE DNS w/out qualifying those same subs. People to this day STILL move w/DISH & life still goes on for everyone involved; obviously you don't understand the difference... :rolleyes:

To the OP: unfortunately since you used such a poor choice of words in your post title, I figured you would get the kind of idiotic posts like you did in the very 1st reply. Certain folks post the SAME type of responses anytime this subject is brought up & keep getting THIS board mixed up with the "other" draconian board.
:deadhorse:

As already told to you, just do a search on moving & decide for yourself, & DON'T let a couple of do-gooders treat you like you just robbed a bank; at best it's along the lines of jaywalking. Been a mover her for close to a decade & haven't lost a night's sleep over it yet. (& sure as hell DON'T care what some folks think about it on a internet board... :p )

BUT, you also have to be smart about it as well - DON'T move, then call them out for a trouble call & NOT change your address back. Again, the search tool here is your friend..
BTW, welcome to the board :welcome

I see some of the usual suspects need to invoke their 2 cents on the subject :rolleyes: (I guess they got nothing better to do)

for the OP just do it. Call up D* and tell them you moved. There was already a dish there and everything works but the locals aren't. Give them the new address and they'll change it. They will ask if the billing changes and say no. They'll change the address and thats it. You might have to do a red button reboot for the locals to come in (make sure you are on the all channels options first. I was in my favorites and couldnt see them) ;)

Check your account online to verify they didnt change the billing address. If they did, just change it back online

sure. The address just has to be in one of the shaded counties in the Syracuse market
new_york%5b1%5d.gif

one note...they are in MPEG4 (mainly HD) so make sure you have HD equipment. Sd only equipment wont work

also check signal. I know Syracuse is the next market to the west of you but just verify. Check 99(s) Transponder 21

here are the stations you'll get
WSTM 3
WTVH 5
WSYR 9
WSTQ 14
WCNY 24
WCNY2 24
WNYS 43
WSYT 68

Could i use my fl address and have my box in ny get florida locals?

EDITED.

Getting the Florida locals has nothing to do with your DTV's profile on where you reside. It has to do with the perimeter of the "spot beam". Otherwise, you might as well move to China and get your Florida local from Shanghai.

They might if they are concerned about being able to offer DNS. Most remember what happened to DISH Network for "not caring".

you mean offering folks distants when locals were available? Yeah I do remember because I was one who got them legally according to Dish. The address I gave (the cabin) all nets but CBS were considered able to get distants so at one time I had Minneapolis locals and NBC, FOx and ABC from LA, Denver or Chicago (a mix and match). I did noting wrong as Dish said I qualified legally.

Now a days through D* if locals are available you are Dq'd from getting distants

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)