Can I op-out my contract because voom move?

testarc

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
Has dish ever allowed customers to op-out their contract because certain channels were removed? The only reason I choose dish over other providers is (was) world cinema. Now that it's gone, I don't see any reason not to switch (except my contract).

Breach of contract as far as I'm concerned. If they don't see it that way, I bet litigation will convince them.

On a somewhat related note...I actually got through to a CSR almost immediately and had no trouble canceling my service. I did ask the CSR if they have had many "changes" today with the new programming additions/subtractions and she said "thank you for your business." I guess that says it all.....

I'm more than certain that they are well protected by their "fine print." Channels come and go all the time. If you want to spend your time and money to fight it, so be it, but I'm certain they would win in the end.

I'm pretty sure the contract says you can't get out of it due to change of programming.

The contract says "programming subject to change without notice."

And thats what Dish did to the letter. :) (At least they are consistant on something) :D

Breach of contract as far as I'm concerned. If they don't see it that way, I bet litigation will convince them.

On a somewhat related note...I actually got through to a CSR almost immediately and had no trouble canceling my service. I did ask the CSR if they have had many "changes" today with the new programming additions/subtractions and she said "thank you for your business." I guess that says it all.....

The litigation will cost more than the $13 and some change per month cost to buy your way out of the contract. Would be dumb on your part.

Has dish ever allowed customers to op-out their contract because certain channels were removed? The only reason I choose dish over other providers is (was) world cinema. Now that it's gone, I don't see any reason not to switch (except my contract).

I have to ask, if the only reason you joined was for World Cinema and now it is not available, how is switching going to make any difference? I'm assuming that World Cinema trumped anything D* offered you, so what is over there that makes you want to cut and run? Or is it just spite?

I am thinking Cable where PQ is better and I have all my locals in HD.

I have to ask, if the only reason you joined was for World Cinema and now it is not available, how is switching going to make any difference? I'm assuming that World Cinema trumped anything D* offered you, so what is over there that makes you want to cut and run? Or is it just spite?

I'd say you'd have a case if you joined recently and argue that Dish advertised Voom when in the background it was moving forward on eliminating many of its channels.

I used a similar argument to get out of my contract when I signed up for Dish with the understanding it would carry Extra Innings but they ended up not carrying it last season. But they advertised it on their website. In the end, they agreed to cut my termination fee in half.

Why don't you wait until all this shakes out? Like others (and I) have said across this board (though without any evidence), this is quite possibly a hardline tactic to get Voom to fulfill the requirements of their contract or to consolidate their 15 mediocre channels into 5 or so really good channels. If you switch now, in a month when/if Voom realigns their content, you may wish you hadn't.

testarc: wherever you change to, if WorldCinema was that important to you, please consider subscribing to the StarzCinema Channel as an alternative. Good Luck !

I am thinking Cable where PQ is better and I have all my locals in HD.

Yes waiting for some channel called 'Fox' in HD that is a semi-local channel but Tribune and DISH don't get along. Tribune wants DISH to broadcast a 'MyTV' channel in HD which would be a waste of bandwidth. Funny that the MyTV signal is stronger than Fox here. Since then I just 'move' around to places like LA to get Fox-HD from DISH. :D :cool: Fires in HD :cool:

A countersuit for litigation costs would be pretty funny too, on top of the cancellation cots of course.

I think if you really want to get out of the contract this will be a good excuse and timing. I am sure DISH considered this factor before they turned off those VOOM channels.

For whatever the reason, VOOM is not doing it for DISH, can't blame them for trying to terminate the service. Now the only way I can see this happen for the good of the VOOM subs would be Cablevision/Rainbow agree to consolidate all VOOM channels into 5 or less channels just so DISH will keep them and still save some precious bandwidth spared for other new HDs.

Maybe this is what Charlie is trying to do, but I am not holding my breadth on it.

I think if you really want to get out of the contract this will be a good excuse and timing. I am sure DISH considered this factor before they turned off those VOOM channels.

For whatever the reason, VOOM is not doing it for DISH, can't blame them for trying to terminate the service. Now the only way I can see this happen for the good of the VOOM subs would be Cablevision/Rainbow agree to consolidate all VOOM channels into 5 or less channels just so DISH will keep them and still save some precious bandwidth spared for other new HDs.

Maybe this is what Charlie is trying to do, but I am not holding my breadth on it.

I was kinda curious about this too and maybe its just me hoping but, they may be saying all this to basically shock VOOM into putting out a lot of new content. If I were VOOM I would do about anything right now for Dish to keep atleast the 5 still left.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)