can i own my own reciever?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

prop

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
mexico
in the past i have bought standard ird`s at best buy.i want to buy a new hd reciever online.do i really own it or am i still leasing it from dtv?

You can own one, but most are leased. Get the RID from a potential buyer and contact Directv's access card department to find out if it's really an owned box.

You can buy and own a receiver. Some are sold by Directv employees that actually own equipment but you will have to buy a need Access card from DTV for around $100 plus the cost of the receiver you are buying......... It gets pretty expensive , then you will have to pay for installation if you don't have a setup or the correct setup....

SIG

$100 for an access card? Last time I got one it was only $25 for an owned HR21 swapping accounts.

The last I heard it was $20, maybe it's gone up.

To the OP - why do you want to own the receiver?

I'm with texasbrit. Why would you want to own one? My experiences with HR24s dying in about 3 years demonstrates to me that this is not something I would want to own. And D* is great about replacing leased receivers. So, I am more content with the lease idea.

Reactions: edisonprime
He could be ot of lease and doesn't want an additional commitment, or perhaps it will go in an infrequently used room that he wants to disconnect without having to return it.

You can buy and own a receiver. Some are sold by Directv employees that actually own equipment but you will have to buy a need Access card from DTV for around $100 plus the cost of the receiver you are buying......... It gets pretty expensive , then you will have to pay for installation if you don't have a setup or the correct setup....

SIG

$100 for an access card? Last time I got one it was only $25 for an owned HR21 swapping accounts.

Thats more like what I have seen.

Wouldn't the receiver come with a perfectly good access card? Why buy a new one? Unless it was damaged in some way.

Directv will require you to get a new one. 1 - it guarantees you aren't charged for the previous owners purchases, and 2 - they make money on selling you a new one!

you can get one brand new from solidsignal, but adding the receiver to your account will get you an extra 2 year commitment.

the card will be $20.00......................the receiver will be what-ever, get the best deal but call to make sure it is "OWNED".

Subscriber since 1995,

I still own most of my boxes except my DVR.

Through the Protection Plan I have upgraded all of my OLD RCA Receivers to newer models, even my HD Receivers.

But I've had to call Directv several times after Receiver replacement because they would change them from "Owned" to "Leased". They would always change them back.

Is there really an Advantage to "owned" equipment nowadays? Probably not...

But back in 1994-1995 when a Directv Receiver and Dish were $699-$899, I guess I want to continue owning my equipment.....

If they are upgraded, the replacement is leased. If you replace a receiver because it is faulty, and have the protection plan, the replacement is owned. If you don't have the protection plan, the replacement is leased but you can often get it changed to owned.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)