Can I run a server?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

StevenD

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 18, 2003
n
I went to the website tonight and it finally let me order FIOS!!! The 30Mb service is still listed as $179...hopefully it will come down to the rumored $60/month.

Has anybody had any trouble running a server (personal usage)? Specifically WWW, FTP and SMTP? Basically, are they blocking any ports? Doing port scans?

you are not suppose to host. however, i don't think they are blocking any ports. i have no trouble with ftp.

hopefully the 30-5 comes down like it did in new york. i want it just for the upload.

When I was looking at a house in Wylie, TX, the "Business Class" 15/2 service was $99/mo (as opposed to the Resi Class $49/mo).

The "Business Class" service allowed servers.

They never did get back to me about routing my /24 of IP Addresses (192.147.25.0/24).

LER

Thanks for the tip LER. I went ahead and ordered Business Class FIOS for $99/month with 5 static IPs. Im scheduled for install next Friday, so we shall see how it goes.

They did verify that port 80 and 25 are blocked on FIOS home service.

80 and 25 are not blocked on my home service. i have heard that they are suppose to be blocked, but alot of people have been saying they are not blocked.

bottom line is they don't want people running servers off the home plan.

i know people are doing it and i am all for saving the money. but the statement is true, they don't want people to run severs using the home plan.

It seemes that every forum I read stated that they were indeed blocking 80 and 25.

Oh well, like I said, its a write off, so no big deal. It will be nice not having to change my DNS entries every six months. They sent me my IP addresses this morning, so hopefully we are still on schedule for Friday.

optimusprime said:
Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh! We be doin' it anyway, matey!
And when they find out and you get turned off for violating the TOS, you're gonna be sorry.

(Disclaimer: I used to work for an ISP).

Well, Im all installed and everything is working great! I went with the "Business-class" 15/2 service for $99/month. The installers showed up on time, wall-fished all the wiring and cleaned up their mess. They didnt have any wired routers, so he gave me a wireless one for free. Although, immediately after they left, I plugged the cat5 into my existing router, put in one of my IP address, and I was up and running. So now I have an extra D-Link wireless router.

I really like the service so far. I cant tell a huge difference between the 15Mb download and the 6Mb I had with Comcast, but the 2Mb uploads are amazing!

Also, I read that they will be offering SLA's on the business-class service eventually. Im certainly willing to pay more for "guaranteed" service. My Comcast cable modem was never reliable. One minute I'd get a full 6Mb, next thing ya know, Im running 700Kb.

I was impressed with how small the delta was between Resi and Biz. If I would have gotten that house, biz was where I was heading.

I'm all for staying on the correct side of the TOS.

I'm glad you're happy. Now, I wish there was an area in the STL area that had FIOS :(.

LER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)