Can I Sling to an ipod touch?

Stacy A

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 15, 2003
northeast Texas
I just signed up for the dish.sling.com using my 722. I thought I could sling my DVR'd shows to my daughter's ipod touch, but all I could get it to do is act as a remote control to the DVR. Is it possible to sling to the ipod? I thought that was the idea behind sling, placeshifting in addition to timeshifting. Am I wrong? or was a just not doing something right?

You either need a Sling-loaded Dish receiver, e.g. the 922, or a real Slingbox.

what app are you using to even use it as a remote to the vip 722?

just the Safari browser.

Sorry. Didn't see the post directly above this one. Yes. I guess that's exactly what it did - redirected Safari to the web app that showed the controls on the screen and caused thier functionality. Pretty cool, but I gotta say - it would have been much cooler for my daughter to be able to watch DVR material on the ipod - rather than downloading stuff. But with hulu.com and sling.com it should be alright.

I just signed up for the dish.sling.com using my 722. I thought I could sling my DVR'd shows to my daughter's ipod touch, but all I could get it to do is act as a remote control to the DVR. Is it possible to sling to the ipod? I thought that was the idea behind sling, placeshifting in addition to timeshifting. Am I wrong? or was a just not doing something right?

Sling Guide and a sling box are two completely different things. One is a web-based DVR menu; the other the place-shifter, as you call it. One is the definition of alpha-software released as beta, the other is the ultimate productivity killer. :D

I am anxiously awaiting the ability to use a sling player on my ipod touch at the gym; that will be sweet. :)

I don't know what I was thinking. I knew the 922 would allow "placeshifting". Somehow got it in my head that the 722 would allow it as well. Things have been heady around here lately since I got my wireless network up and the PS3 and Wii online, and just got the 722 plugged into the network. It's all going to my head. :) Maybe I'll check into a slingbox!

I don't know what I was thinking. I knew the 922 would allow "placeshifting". Somehow got it in my head that the 722 would allow it as well. Things have been heady around here lately since I got my wireless network up and the PS3 and Wii online, and just got the 722 plugged into the network. It's all going to my head. :) Maybe I'll check into a slingbox!

Its da bomb. My wife got me a Slingbox Pro HD for Christmas; my favorite tech gadget in years. My Dish DVR goes with me to any computer I am on. And in the home network, it slings HD to a monitor and looks darn good. Of course, it is only going at about 8000K/sec. :)

sweet! another reason for me to finally replace my mp3 player with an ipod touch! Now we just need slingplayer for Xbox360 so i can watch my home slingbox on an actual tv! COME ON MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

sweet! another reason for me to finally replace my mp3 player with an ipod touch! Now we just need slingplayer for Xbox360 so i can watch my home slingbox on an actual tv! COME ON MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

Soon. The Sling guys had alpha or beta software on the iPhones at CES.

You can watch your home slingbox on an actual tv. You just need to buy a Sling Catcher. :)

Soon. The Sling guys had alpha or beta software on the iPhones at CES.

You can watch your home slingbox on an actual tv. You just need to buy a Sling Catcher. :)

Oh, I know:) im just trying to put off spending that $300 and use the other $300 thing i just bought to do its job. lol
Is the slingcatcher really worth it is what I am trying to figure out i guess, since I can hook my laptop up to the tv and watch it now, although it is a pain in the neck to do so.

sling

So, I just got the invitation and hooked up to both my 722 and my 622. Seems to work fine..I am still new to this sling guide, but is the online scheduling the only thing this will allow me to do? The way I am understanding this is, I have to have a slingbox to watch my content online? Correct???

I wonder if there is a way to hook orb up to this and bring in content?

Thanks alot!

So, I just got the invitation and hooked up to both my 722 and my 622. Seems to work fine..I am still new to this sling guide, but is the online scheduling the only thing this will allow me to do? The way I am understanding this is, I have to have a slingbox to watch my content online? Correct???

I wonder if there is a way to hook orb up to this and bring in content?

Thanks alot!

YES. Slingbox is different from Sling Guide. Sling Guide is really just an online Electronic Programming Guide.

With the forthcoming 922, there will be sling capabilities as well; but with a 722/622 it is just an online EPG. If you want to bring in content, you need to fork out the dough for a SLING BOX.

neat. Works better with the ipod touch changing the channel and control the dvr than the dish sling website on a pc. The pc site seems to change channels at a hit and miss where the ipod touch app works much better.Of course you go upstairs to a tv and control the dvr. Kind of hard to do carrying a desktop pc.LOL

Good question. I don't remember seeing anything on the website and there was nothing about that stressed in bold letters or anything. However, it may have been buried in the Terms of Use or EULA I clicked that I agreed to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)