can I split my feed BEFORE it gets to the switch???

mattyro

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I know splitting satellite signals just doesnt work--voltage and polarity issues. if I get an sw64 and connect my 4 (2-110 2-119) to it I then need 2 leads from my 61.5. There is only one lead coming from my old VOOM dish --should I-A) split the VOOM lead before connecting to sw-64 or B) just use the one llead-connect it to the sw64 and use that output from the switch for my one receiver? Will the sw64 work if only one side has all 3 satellite hookups?? :confused:

If running another line would be prohibitive, you could use this as a good reason to dump legacy and go dishpro. Only need one line per satellite then.

can I split???

if a 2nd 61.5 line is needed, can I use a typical splitter?splitting the line b4 it gets to the switch should work, no?

NO. You can not "split" a satellite line. You must run the line to the LNB on the dish.

DishStore.net has a DP Splitter that might work. This is for Dish Pro LNBs. Here is the info:

Dishpro Approved Splitter $7.00

Dishpro Approved Splitter

Please note this product will NOT split a DISH Network signal coming from a Dishpro Twin, Dish Pro Quad LNBF, or DP34 and allow you to hook up a duel tuner receiver such as a 522, 721 and 921 with 1 cable from the Dish.

The Dishpro Approved splitter is to be used for Specialty Applications such as cascading (2) Sw64 Switches, or for splitting the feed of a DP Single LNBF to allow you to run into (2) DP21 Switches so you can have 2 receivers looking at 3 orbital positions.

If your not sure about your paticular application, please feel free to call or E-mail us before you make a purchase.

Attachments

• dishsplit.jpg
    dishsplit.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 176
DishStore.net does have a splitter that might work. It is for Dish Pro lnbs. Here is the info:

Dishpro Approved Splitter $7.00

Please note this product will NOT split a DISH Network signal coming from a Dishpro Twin, Dish Pro Quad LNBF, or DP34 and allow you to hook up a duel tuner receiver such as a 522, 721 and 921 with 1 cable from the Dish.

The Dishpro Approved splitter is to be used for Specialty Applications such as cascading (2) Sw64 Switches, or for splitting the feed of a DP Single LNBF to allow you to run into (2) DP21 Switches so you can have 2 receivers looking at 3 orbital positions.

If your not sure about your paticular application, please feel free to call or E-mail us before you make a purchase.

http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=128

Attachments

• dishsplit.jpg
    dishsplit.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 177
DishStore.net does have a splitter that might work. It is for Dish Pro lnbs. Here is the info:

mm1, The mattyro does not have dishpro, he is using legacy "VOOM" dish. Legacy cannot ever be split.

mattyro said:
if a 2nd 61.5 line is needed, can I use a typical splitter?splitting the line b4 it gets to the switch should work, no?
Legacy switches require 2 lines from each LNB, one carrying odd transponders and the other even. Only one can be sent at a time. You need to replace the single LNB with a dual LNB and run the 2nd line. The switch will lock each output of the dual to odd or even so that any connected receiver can tune to either.

Splitters can be used before the switch only in the case of the parallel SW44 or SW64 installations. 119 odd is split to the 119 odd input on each switch, 119 even is split to the 119 even input on each switch, etc (with feed loads somewhere in the mix for dual SW64s).

can I just wire "half" of the sw64? ie-one 119, one 110, and one 61.5?? if not, do they make a sw32?? for those of us concerned with getting 3 satellites to just one receiver??

A SW21 cascaded to half of a SW42 (or a SW21 cascaded to a SW21-X) would most likely work but only for one receiver per SW21.

As in the crude diagram below:

119------SW
110----42or21X---------SW
61.5--------------------21--------receiver

I give up--i'll pay somebody. thanks everybody. Oh, BTW I decided to run 110 and 61.5 and ordered CBS-HD. So for now, Dish is a source of extra HD for me.

mattyro said:
can I just wire "half" of the sw64? ie-one 119, one 110, and one 61.5?? if not, do they make a sw32?? for those of us concerned with getting 3 satellites to just one receiver??
No. No.

Why do you need dual LNBs to use the SW64 and SW44?

Because the SW64 and SW44 "hardwire" the polarization for half the dual LNB to right hand, and left hand for the other half. The switch then selects between the two halves internally to select whichever polarization is required for the desired transponder.