Can I split my signal to two recievers?

EuroTrash

Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
I believe I have Super Dish (500)? - I just bought Samsung DLP 46" HDTV Monitor and leased and 811 reciever. I would like to still use my (520?) DVR reciever I now onw on my old TV, but did not want to pay $99 for installation of 811 - did it myself (only way they would agree to lease to me is to replace - or I had to pay for installation???)...

How can I split the signal - both recievers work when plugged directly into one of the two cables coming from the dish (other is antena?) - but when I try to use Coax Cable splitter - neitether one will work... DO I have a bad (or specific use) splitter? Should I try to buy a new Splitter in Best Buy? Or is there another trick to splitting the cable that comes from Dish TV Satelite Antenna...?
Thanks!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys.

You CANNOT split a satellite signal.
You MUST run another line to the switch. (most liokely located at the dish)

What about splitting the OTA signal to a receiver in another room. Will this diminish my HDTV in my main viewing room? Should I split it or run another cable to the OTA somehow?

A "good" standard 2-way splitter will have -3.5 dB for each output. You will lose about 4 points on the meter. The loss for 3- or 4-way splitters is more. If that puts you too low, say 80 on a 100 scale (811) or 90 on a 125 scale (921) you will need an amplifier.

I decided on a 10 dB 4-output amp to also feed VCRs, DVD+R, TV from a 4-way and used the other 3 outputs for 501, 811, and 921 with a meter improvement of about 10 points.

If you have nearby FM stations look for an FM trap. If a large difference in TV signals, good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts