Can I swap a 322 receiver with 222

crawkan

Original poster
Aug 23, 2011
midwest
I moved into a house that has a dish 322 installed with SD only.

Can I swap the 322 with a 222 receiver?

Can an external hard drive be added to the 222 to get DVR features? Is there any charge from Dish to activate the DVR features or any monthly fee?

My other option is to upgrade to HD. What does dish charge to upgrade a home from SD to HD? Do you have to sign up for a new 2 year commitment?

The 222 is not compatible with having an external hard drive added. If you wanted to swap the 322 with a 222 that would be an upgrade because the 222 is an HD Duo recevier.If the house came with a 322 chances are the Dish Antenna would need to be changed out for one that supports HD. If you do upgrade equipment through DISH there is a new 2 year agreement. I can take a look at your account and let you know what it would cost to upgrade to HD. Just send me a PM with your account number or phone number so I can bring up your account. Thanks!

And having to start from scratch is not necessarily a bad thing - you may get an HD DVR receiver free plus the HD dish/lnb - check it out.

I am still running my Dish 322. I would really like to Upgrade to HD, but I do not trust DishNetwork employees on my roof. I also like the fact that my Dish 322 can control my Pioneer DVD Recorder. I don’t record enough to justify paying for DVR, but I do like to record once in awhile.

When I first had the Dish 322, I was running the SuperDish. I was losing signal on a daily basis. Dish network was out about 5 times moving the dish all over my roof putting holes everywhere and patching the shingles with clear silicone. Luckily I was planning on doing a teardown and reroof in a few years.

When I did eventually get a new roof, I had Dish back out to reinstall the dish. I figured I had extra bundles of shingles left in case they screwed up. Well they ended up getting rid of my SuperDish and installing a Dish 500. I actually got lucky and the guy that did the installation did a great job. He didn’t keep moving the dish all over my roof drilling holes all over. He got it right on the first try so I didn’t even have to tear into my extra bundle of shingles!

slinkeey said:
I am still running my Dish 322. I would really like to Upgrade to HD, but I do not trust DishNetwork employees on my roof. I also like the fact that my Dish 322 can control my Pioneer DVD Recorder. I don’t record enough to justify paying for DVR, but I do like to record once in awhile.

When I first had the Dish 322, I was running the SuperDish. I was losing signal on a daily basis. Dish network was out about 5 times moving the dish all over my roof putting holes everywhere and patching the shingles with clear silicone. Luckily I was planning on doing a teardown and reroof in a few years.

When I did eventually get a new roof, I had Dish back out to reinstall the dish. I figured I had extra bundles of shingles left in case they screwed up. Well they ended up getting rid of my SuperDish and installing a Dish 500. I actually got lucky and the guy that did the installation did a great job. He didn’t keep moving the dish all over my roof drilling holes all over. He got it right on the first try so I didn’t even have to tear into my extra bundle of shingles!

The tech that did the 500 install didn't get lucky, he did the job properly, you were unlucky with the first ones. It is not common practice to make Swiss cheese out of a roof. I wouldn't be afraid to upgrade due to not wanting a tech on your roof. You can always schedule the upgrade and see what the tech says, he may be able to put the HD dish on the same mast, no new holes in the roof. But to my original point, you got hosed by whoever did the super dish, it should be a one shot deal mounting to a roof. If you need it moved for a LOS for HD, and u don't want it moved, just decline the upgrade and that's that.

The tech that did the 500 install didn't get lucky, he did the job properly, you were unlucky with the first ones.

That is why I said, "*I* actually got lucky and the guy that did the installation did a great job"

I talked to the tech that did the Dish 500 about this. He told me that my SuperDish scenario was most likely due to it being installed and serviced by a contractor (Galaxy Salellite) and not a Dish employee like he was. He showed me how he used water tight compression F connectors and they used crimp fittings. He ended up replacing all of their F connectors because he explained how dish does not like return visits, so he is held to higher standards.

If this is true, can I demand a dish employee to do the work instead of a contractor?

Are there any HD Dish receivers out there that play well with your own recording equipment even if I have to get rid of my DVD recorder that is only SD? I don't like the idea of paying Dish a DVR fee during the months I may not even record one show.

Thanks for the tips so far.

I'm not sure you can demand an in house vs a contractor. You have good and sloppy techs either way. Recently though our inspectors have been on us so u have a very good shot at having an upgrade done right. The 222k is just like the 322 except it is HD to tv1, and you can loop it through your DVD recorder.

That is why I said, "*I* actually got lucky and the guy that did the installation did a great job"

I talked to the tech that did the Dish 500 about this. He told me that my SuperDish scenario was most likely due to it being installed and serviced by a contractor (Galaxy Salellite) and not a Dish employee like he was. He showed me how he used water tight compression F connectors and they used crimp fittings. He ended up replacing all of their F connectors because he explained how dish does not like return visits, so he is held to higher standards.

If this is true, can I demand a dish employee to do the work instead of a contractor?

Are there any HD Dish receivers out there that play well with your own recording equipment even if I have to get rid of my DVD recorder that is only SD? I don't like the idea of paying Dish a DVR fee during the months I may not even record one show.

Thanks for the tips so far.

A 211 series with an ehd might fit the bill. the 211 has a single ota and a single Dish tuner. You can add the ehd for a 1 time fee of $40/account. This gives you the capabilites to record 1 ota and 1 Dish feed at the same time. It also gives you the pause/rewind etc of a dvr. The 211k has some other features, but since I only have a 211, that's all I can comment on.

dwarren2 said:
A 211 series with an ehd might fit the bill. the 211 has a single ota and a single Dish tuner. You can add the ehd for a 1 time fee of $40/account. This gives you the capabilites to record 1 ota and 1 Dish feed at the same time. It also gives you the pause/rewind etc of a dvr. The 211k has some other features, but since I only have a 211, that's all I can comment on.

Was just gonna say that.

I'm not sure you can demand an in house vs a contractor. You have good and sloppy techs either way. Recently though our inspectors have been on us so u have a very good shot at having an upgrade done right. The 222k is just like the 322 except it is HD to tv1, and you can loop it through your DVD recorder.

Yes, but It does not look like the 222k has ir blaster like the 322.

ViP 222 manual and ViP 222k manual both indicate they have the IR Blaster on front panel, page 19 of both manuals.

If you buy your dish from a local retailer you can actually have a good idea of who will be installing your dish. Why does everyone on here sign up directly from Dish? Are you not aware that there are local retailers that can help you out? I understand that not every location has a retailer also.

If you buy your dish from a local retailer you can actually have a good idea of who will be installing your dish. Why does everyone on here sign up directly from Dish? Are you not aware that there are local retailers that can help you out? I understand that not every location has a retailer also.
This is why a lot of good dealers have left, competing with other dealers is one thing but competing with your supplier is just too much.

Well it's hard to get customer's attention. We advertise a ton and still miss customers to Dish direct and to the telecoms.

I recently spoke with a local guy about upgrading me and he told me I needed to use my original installer, Something about it being hard to get money from Dish. So that leaves me to deal with Dish or somebody online.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Well it's hard to get customer's attention. We advertise a ton and still miss customers to Dish direct and to the telecoms.
And now you get to compete with Blockbuster as well. Or are you calling that "Dish direct"?

It use to be that only the original retailer could upgrade a customer. They have changed that now. Sometimes a customers acount is locked to Dish though so I can understand that.

Now I understand what was going on. I was trying to be sure to get a 722k if I could. I know Dish won't guarantee what receiver you get. I know some people just refuse to allow the installer to put other receivers in, but I hate to make someone come out here for nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)