Can I take down my 72.5

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bosox07

Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
NY
First post, thanks in advance for your help.

Now that I have my locals in HD, can I take down my 72.5?

Is it as simple as just removing it or do I also have to run setup as well?

You DO understand that since NOT all your locals are in HD, if you take that dish down now, you'll loose the rest of your locals that are only in SD now. (like PBS, etc.) Those have NOT been moved over yet, & probably won't be for awhile. And as harsh says, any SD only receivers you have will then NOT get ANY locals.

What IS the big hurry to take it down now - you've had it all this time, a little longer shouldn't matter... :confused:

You DO understand that since NOT all your locals are in HD, if you take that dish down now, you'll loose the rest of your locals that are only in SD now. (like PBS, etc.) Those have NOT been moved over yet, & probably won't be for awhile. And as harsh says, any SD only receivers you have will then NOT get ANY locals.

I was under the impression that they moved the SD off of 72.5 when they turned on the HD's.

What IS the big hurry to take it down now - you've had it all this time, a little longer shouldn't matter... :confused:

Purely selfish reasons......I have a 28 ft ladder that needs to be returned to its owner and wanted to take it down why I have the chance.:D

I was under the impression that they moved the SD off of 72.5 when they turned on the HD's.

They cannot do this until they replace ALL MPEG2 receivers/dishes in these regions.
Now, I'm sure they WILL be doing a simulcast of these remaining SD locals, so there will be a time where new installs will NOT require the 2nd dish, while the new cust get all locals. During this time, THEN D* will start doing dish & receiver replacements, but right now, until they start the simulcast, they can't.

They cannot do this until they replace ALL MPEG2 receivers/dishes in these regions.
Now, I'm sure they WILL be doing a simulcast of these remaining SD locals, so there will be a time where new installs will NOT require the 2nd dish, while the new cust get all locals. During this time, THEN D* will start doing dish & receiver replacements, but right now, until they start the simulcast, they can't.

They won't necessarily need to do dish or receiver replacements. I think the plan is to move the 72.5 SD locals to 119. 119 is getting freed up by the move of the MPEG-2 HD channels to the Ka Sats in MPEG-4.

They won't necessarily need to do dish or receiver replacements. I think the plan is to move the 72.5 SD locals to 119. 119 is getting freed up by the move of the MPEG-2 HD channels to the Ka Sats in MPEG-4.

Sorry, ain't anywhere NEAR enough x-ponder space for 24 markets worth of SD locals on 119 - EVEN if they just decide to replace the "big 4" SD locals w/the HD feeds & have the new receivers downconvert them to SD. NONE of those freed up x-ponders are spotbeams & there are now 16 x-ponders worth of locals on 72.5 that have to all go somewhere. They might/could move some markets to 119, but not ALL of them.

Also, you evidently haven't heard they are planning on moving all the internationals from 95 to 119, so that D* can have a one-dish solution for ALL customers, regardless of their prog.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)