Can I Use A DirecTV Dish??

bigreda6

Original poster
Jun 20, 2006
I used to be a DirecTV subscriber and my DirecTV dish and LNB are still up. I am thinking about switching to Dish Network... As long as I have Dish Network service, receivers, and etc., Is it possible to just re-aim the DirecTV dish to pick up the Dish Network signal?

Thanks for any help/advice.

To answer your question, I believe you COULD aim your (I assume) 18 inch DirecTV dish to say, 119 and have your Dish Network receivers recognize it. The main problem with this is that you are going to be missing a lot of channels that come from 110 with this setup if you subscribe to anything greater than AT60.

Now, the better thing to do (and it will be done anyway with professional installtion) is to have a Dish500 (or whatever the appropriate dish for your area is) installed so you will be able to pick up all of the necessary satellites (110, 119) and any additional satellites to receive say, your local channels, depending where you live. Also, DirecTV dishes aren't going to work with the DishPro switches and whatnot (at least I don't think they will.. I subscribe to DirecTV myself).

Hope that helps
-Dan

Not to look smart, but i did use a Dish single LNB abandoned by a previous owner on the roof to connect to my DirecTV Sony receiver about five years ago and it worked very well. I guess it should work the other way around too.

Funny how i thought i would never go back to satellite once i left the deep woods, but i could only hold back for so long given the dismal cable HD selection. Dish rules.

Kandiru said:
Not to look smart, but i did use a Dish single LNB abandoned by a previous owner on the roof to connect to my DirecTV Sony receiver about five years ago and it worked very well. I guess it should work the other way around too.

Funny how i thought i would never go back to satellite once i left the deep woods, but i could only hold back for so long given the dismal cable HD selection. Dish rules.

lol, whatever works, right? :p

Same here.. I was a long time cable subscriber but I just couldn't tolerate the terrible picture quality on the analog channels any longer. Been with DirecTV for about 6 years now and am very happy.

Once you go satellite, you never go back! lol

-Dan

:confused: i was always told the lbn is different but I'm using a dtv lb right now on dishnet box and i get a better signal from it than i did with a dishnet lbn but i used a dishnet lbn on a dtv box and got a week signal and no signal quality go figure

you can use an 18" dish for both 110 and 119 using 2 D* LNB's. Just zip tie or hose clamp them together and you're good to go. Use an SW21 (119 is Sat 1) to feed your Dish reciever.

Welcome to the Forum.If you have never had Dish before I would go for the free installation.Have them run separate lines and keep both dishes on your house.You never know what the future may bring and normally you are only a new customer once.So make sure you chose what you want the 1st time otherwise it can become a big expense.