Can I use a Wireless Ethernet Bridge with the 722?

Is there an advantage of using the wireless bridge like the D-Link DAP-1522 as opposed to the HomePlug setup?

I'm really asking this thinking about the 922. If I go the HomePlug route now, will I just be wishing I'd used the bridge later when I get a 922? Is the bandwidth with the HomePlug 1.0 adequate for things such as that (like slinging video)?

Personally I'm not a fan of homeplug type solutions. Not only do I see a possibility of bandwidth issues and connectivity issues, but also having a wireless bridge with multiple ports allows for plugging in a few devices (receiver, Xbox, slingbox, etc...).

The Buffalo router linked above is the one I just bought. For the price ($65) I think its worth it over a homeplug.

How complicated is the setup of the bridge? Is it likely to interfere with my current setup (as outlined 3 posts back)?

I guess my biggest concern is upsetting the wireless network nirvana that I currently enjoy. ;)

How complicated is the setup of the bridge? Is it likely to interfere with my current setup (as outlined 3 posts back)?

I guess my biggest concern is upsetting the wireless network nirvana that I currently enjoy. ;)

Setup is pretty simple.

There should be no reason it would interfere with your current setup. If for some reason you run into an issue during setup, we are here to help. There is plenty of knowledgeable people on this board to step you through it and work out any bugs.

If you want to know the step by step directions for a bridge you are thinking of buying, check the manufacturers website and download the manual. I did this for the buffalo router above in preparation for when it arrives next week. Looked pretty simple to me. If you have ever set up a wireless router, you shouldn't have any problems setting up a bridge.

Setup is pretty simple.

There should be no reason it would interfere with your current setup. If for some reason you run into an issue during setup, we are here to help. There is plenty of knowledgeable people on this board to step you through it and work out any bugs.

If you want to know the step by step directions for a bridge you are thinking of buying, check the manufacturers website and download the manual. I did this for the buffalo router above in preparation for when it arrives next week. Looked pretty simple to me. If you have ever set up a wireless router, you shouldn't have any problems setting up a bridge.

That makes me feel better.

I did set up my existing home network. There were a few bumps along the road, but it was the first time I'd ventured into anything like that. It works beautifully, now.

Thanks. I'll put in my order for the bridge.

DD-WRT :: News is the link for the software. I'm not sure on other than LinkSys routers being supported. Hit the site and look around.

Lots of Broadcom-based routers supported. I'm personally running it on an Asus and a Buffalo router. Should have a long list of supported routers at that link.

We have been using a Netgear wireless bridge for my kid's XBox for quite a while now. After reading all these posts I decided to go into the setup for my 722 and see if I had a connection. My 722 us plugged into a surge protector. I went into network setup and clicked on connect and it connected right away. What a surprise.
smile.gif

We have been using a Netgear wireless bridge for my kid's XBox for quite a while now. After reading all these posts I decided to go into the setup for my 722 and see if I had a connection. My 722 us plugged into a surge protector. I went into network setup and clicked on connect and it connected right away. What a surprise.
smile.gif

I assume you mean a HomePlug?

One thing worth mentioning with respect to wireless bridges is that the more wireless devices you have on a given band (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) the slower the throughput speeds will be. I actually used one of my Airport Expresses setup as a bridge to not only connect my 622 but also my PS3 via a hub, so I added 1 device to my network (the 622), but added no additional wireless devices as the PS3 now connects through its wired connection to the bridge along with the 622.

Ted

One thing worth mentioning with respect to wireless bridges is that the more wireless devices you have on a given band (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) the slower the throughput speeds will be. I actually used one of my Airport Expresses setup as a bridge to not only connect my 622 but also my PS3 via a hub, so I added 1 device to my network (the 622), but added no additional wireless devices as the PS3 now connects through its wired connection to the bridge along with the 622.

Ted

So you're saying that, theoretically, since I'll have 2 unused ethernet ports on my bridge, I'd be better off connecting my PS3 (instead of the built-in WiFi) and my XBox 360 (instead of my wireless gaming adapter)?

I assume you mean a HomePlug?

This is what I am using: XE102 - NETGEAR.com

Netgear calls it a "WALL-PLUGGED ETHERNET BRIDGE XE102 - Extends home networks by using existing electrical wires (requires 2 units, sold separately)"

One plugs into an outlet near our wireless router and an ethernet cable goes fromt he unit to the router. We use a second one near our kid's XBox which is upstairs and an ethernet cable goes from the second unit into the XBox. I don't think it is called a HomePlug, but I guess it works the same way?? I didn't have to do anything other than click "connect". Haven't tried to access it from the internet yet.

This is what I am using: XE102 - NETGEAR.com

Netgear calls it a "WALL-PLUGGED ETHERNET BRIDGE XE102 - Extends home networks by using existing electrical wires (requires 2 units, sold separately)"

One plugs into an outlet near our wireless router and an ethernet cable goes fromt he unit to the router. We use a second one near our kid's XBox which is upstairs and an ethernet cable goes from the second unit into the XBox. I don't think it is called a HomePlug, but I guess it works the same way?? I didn't have to do anything other than click "connect". Haven't tried to access it from the internet yet.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about, now. I'm a novice with regard to these things, so I wasn't challenging you on it. I was just seeking clarification. I believe it's just semantics. When you said "bridge", I took that to be referring to the wireless box that looks like a router/access point.

I believe "HomePlug" refers to the technology or standard of what you're using (a small box that plugs into a wall outlet and utilizes your electrical wiring to extend your network).

I may be wrong. So someone will correct me.

Nonetheless, I understand what you're talking about now.:D

It's all good. I don't know a lot about it either. All I knew was that mine wasn't "HomePlug" brand which is what I thought you were asking. They may in fact do the same thing. I noticed on the Netgear site that many of the bridges are "HomePlug compatible" but mine isn't listed as such. It worked though. The newer ones that are listed as compatible (and have bigger throughput) seem to be less expensive than what I have. I bought mine a few years ago though. Mine is a two piece setup, but you would only need one piece (half of a kit) for the 722. Good luck.

So you're saying that, theoretically, since I'll have 2 unused ethernet ports on my bridge, I'd be better off connecting my PS3 (instead of the built-in WiFi) and my XBox 360 (instead of my wireless gaming adapter)?

Yes. Although, if you don't have all 3 active at once, the effect is less. I ran into some performance issues with the number of wireless devices I had:

iPhone
Work laptop
Home laptop
Desktop
Linux Server (runs on old laptop)
Wife's school laptop
PS3
AppleTV
2 Airport Expresses (Bridges)
Backup Server

I decided to hard-wire what I could which saved me 2 devices, put the PS3 on the bridge with the 622, and I retired the Home laptop since both my wife and I already had other laptops to use. This allowed me to go from 11 devices to 7, and the performance returned to normal.

Ted

Yes. Although, if you don't have all 3 active at once, the effect is less...
Ted

Given that, I think I'll leave my PS3 & XBox 360 alone with their current wireless connections. The only wireless connections I'm currently using are 2 laptops, the PS3 & XBox 360. The XBox 360 & the PS3 never run simultaneously. My desktop is hard-wired.

The decision has been made and I've ordered the D-Link DAP-1522 as recommended previously by thamac.

I kinda highjacked the thread, but it stayed on track. I think the bwthomas831's question was answered anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)