Can I use an old 110/119 antenna on 61.5/72.7?

Bill Jeff

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2018
Arizona
I have a camp/cottage in a very wooded spot in central Maine. For several years, I have had an old round Dish reflector, about 18 inches diameter (I think a 500), with an old two-eye LNB, mounted on a tree. Through the forest, this setup had line of sight to 119, but not to 110. It worked well on 119, and I was satisfied since I don‘t watch much TV. Last winter, the tree came down. Although the reflector was not damaged, I cannot find another spot that has line of sight to 119, so I cannot simply re-mount the antenna on another tree. Cutting trees is not an option - neighbor’s property.

However, I do have a location where I have line of sight to 61.5 and 72.7, with their higher elevation as seen from Maine. Can I hope to use the same reflector and LNB to receive these two satellites? I’m thinking the azimuth separations are similar.

Thanks for any thoughts. And sorry to be non-specific about the part numbers of my setup. FWIW, I have a Hopper Duo receiver and a single TV in the camp.

Bill

I have a camp/cottage in a very wooded spot in central Maine. For several years, I have had an old round Dish reflector, about 18 inches diameter (I think a 500), with an old two-eye LNB, mounted on a tree. Through the forest, this setup had line of sight to 119, but not to 110. It worked well on 119, and I was satisfied since I don‘t watch much TV. Last winter, the tree came down. Although the reflector was not damaged, I cannot find another spot that has line of sight to 119, so I cannot simply re-mount the antenna on another tree. Cutting trees is not an option - neighbor’s property.

However, I do have a location where I have line of sight to 61.5 and 72.7, with their higher elevation as seen from Maine. Can I hope to use the same reflector and LNB to receive these two satellites? I’m thinking the azimuth separations are similar.

Thanks for any thoughts. And sorry to be non-specific about the part numbers of my setup. FWIW, I have a Hopper Duo receiver and a single TV in the camp.

Bill

You might get it to work a little with an advanced meter and a lot of patience but IMHO it's not worth the trouble. You should get an eastern arc dish 1000.2 with an eastern arc LNB.

I'd surprised if he got any signal, tbh. Or enough to actually watch TV. Legacy receivers seemed to be much more forgiving of lower signals than newer receivers are, but regardless, the size, shape, curvature of the reflector, the length of the feed arm, the spacing between the "eyes" on the LNB, the angle of the "Y" Bracket, those are all calculated to be as they are for a reason; that's what gets the best signal. A vertically oval reflector is not going to get the same signal as a larger, horizontally oval reflector. The EA LNBF is not the same tilt or spacing as a DPP Twin, etc. It's like modifying a Ford rim to fit on a GM Wheel

JSheridan is right. Spend a few dollars and get the right equipment

Reactions: JSheridan
Thanks, Jonyac -

I live in Wells (south coast near Kennebunk). My camp is on Schoodic Lake near Milo (30 mi north of Bangor). How much would you take for your spare setup?

Bill

It will work but you have to compromise signal level on both birds. Set the skew to the correct number by using the 1000.4 chart for your zip code.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)