Can I use my DTV Dish to get other stuff?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gojira69

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 9, 2004
There are some cool channels only available in Canada. Can I reposition my DirectTV dish and pick them up? I would love to see these.

http://www.driveinclassics.ca/
http://www.screamtelevision.ca/

No, the DirecTV receiver can only receive the DirecTV channels.

Hey about those canadian channels, yes you can use your DTV dish and
aim it at nimiq1 but you will have to get a 3100/5800 or a 6000. Those channels are really not much to look at but it's nice to see an american want to see canadian channels because for years it's been the other way around.h

DCXFORDGM said:
Hey about those canadian channels, yes you can use your DTV dish and
aim it at nimiq1 but you will have to get a 3100/5800 or a 6000. Those channels are really not much to look at but it's nice to see an american want to see canadian channels because for years it's been the other way around.h
I am not up on satellite users' terminology. What is an "3100/5800 or a 6000"?

DCXFORDGM said:
Those channels are really not much to look at...
What's not to like? The Scream Channel is airing episodes of Boris Karloff's Thriller!

DCXFORDGM said:
Hey about those canadian channels, yes you can use your DTV dish and aim it at nimiq1 but you will have to get a 3100/5800 or a 6000. Those channels are really not much to look at but it's nice to see an american want to see canadian channels because for years it's been the other way around.h
okay, so I think a 3100/5800 or a 6000 is a reference to a receiver? Where do I get one and are they expensive? Can you direct me to a thread that perhaps already explained how to do this?

Well these are Expressvu recievers, same as charlie's but with different software on them and somewhat different ipg's. If you want to purchase from bell and set up a account, you have to have a credit card, they hold 300.00 dollars on it like a car rental place and if you do not activate reciever after 90 days they take the money, oh and they have your name and address and it has to match your social insurance # and credit card and if it doesn't no dice. Vu is stopping the pirate's from growing, if alot and I mean alot you can not even walk out of the store with your reciever, bell sends it to your house and this will be the norm soon. Last week bell stepped up to the plate with alot of ecm's in a row to stop hackers. I would suggest to go threw a american broker with bell or starchoice.

Bob -

I'm in the SF area and use a DirecTV dish to receive Bell ExpressVu from Canada. (I just happen to be using a DTV dish, but never been a DTV subscriber.) So yes, it is technically feasible.

As to why to subscribe, in addition to the channels you mentioned there are a number of other exclusively Canadian channels. Also, you can get both Boston and Seattle US stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, Fox) in standard and High Definition.

While DCXFORDGM is correct, much of what he says applies only to those living in Canada. There is no law against anyone in the US subscribing to Canadian satellite companies. There is, however, a Canadian law against the Canadian satellite companies knowingly selling their service to anyone in the US (even Canadian citizens). The Canadian satellite companies are, however, happy to look the other way as people subscribe through "address brokers" who provide you with a Canadian address for a fee.

Feel free to PM me for more on my experience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)