Can I use my Iphone without a plan?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DefDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
N.W. Florida
I have a Iphone that I own with no contract. I want to use it as just a phone. I have 3 lines with AT&T and I'm not under contract with any of them. If I put in one of my sim cards and have the settings for 3g and data turned off, will it work without AT&T starting me on a $30 a month plan? I spoke with a csr and she said maybe or maybe not:confused:. I guess worst case scenario is that I end up paying a prorated amount if I do get charged, and call in and cancel the plan and go back to my razor. Anybody know for sure if this can be done. If I can't use it like this then I'll sell it on ebay and but a Ipod touch when the new ones come out, hopefully with a camera.

If you move one of the sim cards over AT&T should not be able to tell that you are now using an iphone. Be sure all the networking 3G/2G/GPRS is turned off. You should be able to use wifi without issue.

I'll give it a try and update the results. there should be a lot of us out of contract with good Iphones and who don't need to spend an extra $30 a month just to make a few calls.thanks

If you move one of the sim cards over AT&T should not be able to tell that you are now using an iphone. Be sure all the networking 3G/2G/GPRS is turned off. You should be able to use wifi without issue.

Swapping the sim should work in an iPhone 3G or 3GS without issue but, ATT will still know that it's an iPhone even if you don't tell them.

Each phone has a unique IMEI number which tells ATT which model it is. I'm not sure if they will force the data on your or not though. Only way to find out is to try it and monitor your account.

they will know you have a data capable phone connected. in fact if your registered with at&t online, you can log into your accound and see what phone your sim card is in. it will have a picture of it in your account profile. it gets it from the IMEI number.
your phone broadcasts that number to the network.

AT&T also reserves the right to add an "appropriate data plan" to your account if they detect a smartphone or pda connected.

from what i understand they no longer allow data phones on an account without a plan.

you can stick a gophone sim card in the iphone and use it like an ipod touch.
even if the gophone sim is empty of money.

they will know you have a data capable phone connected. in fact if your registered with at&t online, you can log into your accound and see what phone your sim card is in. it will have a picture of it in your account profile. it gets it from the IMEI number.
your phone broadcasts that number to the network.

AT&T also reserves the right to add an "appropriate data plan" to your account if they detect a smartphone or pda connected.

from what i understand they no longer allow data phones on an account without a plan.

you can stick a gophone sim card in the iphone and use it like an ipod touch.
even if the gophone sim is empty of money.
After talking with a more knowledgeable csr I came to the same conclusion as you have said. They will see it as a smartphone and upgrade my plan. I sold it on ebay yesterday, "it's on it's way to india already via L.A."

I had to put a non working (non subscribed) go phone sim card in an iphone 3g to use it like an ipod. it said "no service" but would connect to wifi and run apps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts