Can I view recordings without being connected to satallites?

drjohn

Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
MN
Hi,

Very novice question.....if my brother records a program on his DVR (Ryder cup on Fri), can we bring just the DVR to my house and watch the recording without it being hooked up to the satallites? The reason being I do not get ESPN and we are all gathering at my house for the weekend.

Thanks,
David

From my own personal experience, I would not guarantee you will be able to without some significant obstacles. I have had a ViP622 and now have a ViP722k. While watching a live program at the time satellite signal is lost, I have been stuck on the screen "searching for satellite" and it has been very difficult to get switched to an OTA channel where I could regain control of the DVR and was a pre-recorded show.

So, will you have a satellite feed to connect to your brother's DVR? If so, then you shouldn't have any problem. If not, it depends on how lucky you are that day.

So, will you have a satellite feed to connect to your brother's DVR? If so, then you shouldn't have any problem. If not, it depends on how lucky you are that day.

No I will not. I do not have satallite or cable......I am just wanting to hook up his DVR to my TV and view recorded content on it.

I do not know the model number of his DVR.....I was worried if it will "boot up" and get to menu that allows you to see and select the recorded shows without it being hooked up to satallite. Do you all think that functionality should work?

Thanks for your responses.

From my own personal experience, I would not guarantee you will be able to without some significant obstacles. I have had a ViP622 and now have a ViP722k. While watching a live program at the time satellite signal is lost, I have been stuck on the screen "searching for satellite" and it has been very difficult to get switched to an OTA channel where I could regain control of the DVR and was a pre-recorded show. ...
Rick,

Next time that happens, push "Menu" and then Select "Guide." Now select an OTA channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)