Status
Please reply by conversation.

Cegarrett

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
Shreveport, LA
I'm the Tech Guy at Church and a Dish (ie not directv) Guy. The Youth Director/Minister is telling me that he can call Direct TV and they will give him a code and he can watch the Superbowl on a computer in HD (for free or less than $5) .

I really seriously doubt he is correct but want to make sure before I tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I don't know about watching it online (I doubt the NFL would allow it), but you could get a SlingBox and then watch it on your laptop (provided you install the SlingPlayer).

I'm the Tech Guy at Church and a Dish (ie not directv) Guy. The Youth Director/Minister is telling me that he can call Direct TV and they will give him a code and he can watch the Superbowl on a computer in HD (for free or less than $5) .

I really seriously doubt he is correct but want to make sure before I tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about.

IF He's a Sunday Ticket person he could have watched the ST on his computer all season long as long as he had internet connection .....

But, I don[t know about watching the SB as it's on a regular channel and D* is not packaging it with the ST stuff for access that I know of.

The SB will be on Network TV, throw up a pair of rabbit ears and watch it on TV.

IF He's a Sunday Ticket person he could have watched the ST on his computer all season long as long as he had internet connection .....

But, I don[t know about watching the SB as it's on a regular channel and D* is not packaging it with the ST stuff for access that I know of.

The SB will be on Network TV, throw up a pair of rabbit ears and watch it on TV.
Yeah, i think this is probably what he meant and did not realize that the SB wasnt in the ST package

OK Thanks for the responses.

In the past i've just used a digital converter box and connected it directly to the Sound board and the Projector. but now he's wanting to bring a dish and receiver in and run cables. I think that's a little overkill.

Unless OTA is wholly unreliable, there's very little reason to go to all the trouble. He can record it at home if he want's to go back and review later.

Perhaps less obvious to several here at SatelliteGuys, what the minister proposes is in direct violation of the DIRECTV (and DISH Network) Customer Agreement (and likely the Lease Agreement).

I agree!

Thanks for giving me the against the law card to play. I really was trying to get out of putting up a dish for one day. I''l go back to the way we've beed doing it for the last 2 years.

Unless OTA is wholly unreliable, there's very little reason to go to all the trouble. He can record it at home if he want's to go back and review later.

Perhaps less obvious to several here at SatelliteGuys, what the minister proposes is in direct violation of the DIRECTV (and DISH Network) Customer Agreement (and likely the Lease Agreement).

I have to agree. Plus, the OTA broadcast will look ever so slightly better than the recompressed MPEG4 local channels on Dish and Direct. There is no point at all in putting up a dish just to get the Super bowl when it is much less trouble to do it OTA. Is he wanting it in HD or something? I know most converter boxes don't do HD. Of course, your projector may not either.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts