Can more USB ports be added to PS3

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I was curious if I can 2 more usb ports to our PS3 (it only has 2)? We now use 2 Logitech wireless controllers which each require a receiver module in the USB port and I want to add 2 more.

I know I could use the Sony controllers (without needing a usb) but our original is broken and I don't want to pay $55 for a new dual shock.

If you are asking if you can use a hub the answer is a qualified yes. For the regular controllers they work well. With a few specialized applications like the "instruments" in some of the music apps some people report problems with one or more of the instruments not working properly through a hub.

You might have better luck with a powered hub. Don't buy the cheapest thing.

Yeah, if you have the option always go with a powered hub, you might not need it now, but you may in the future when you get a 'controller' that needs a ton more.

This is one of the more underrated benefits of having an earlier model, there were 2 more USB ports on it.

Thanks guys. My main reason for asking was because we already have two of the Logitech controllers and the kids like them, plus they're a fair amount cheaper than the Sonys. We also had the original Sixaxis that came with the PS3 and a Dualshock that we bought at the same time. Both of the Sonys died this month so we can no longer play COD4 four player, split-screen. I'd rather get two more Logitech but they're not Blue-tooth and require a USB receiver module and my PS3 only has 2 usb ports.

Yeah, Sony assumes you won't ever do that, so they don't have any trickle power on the USB ports like you would normally have, so only limitation is not being able to turn the console on I think? I've only read about this, we've just got a SIXAXIS and a DS3 here.

Nyko makes great little media hub especially for PS3... it fits perfectly and costs only $20... you'll end up having 2 extra USB ports and SD/MS card reader.

Just check their site... I would post the link but since this is my 1st post I am not allowed... :D

Nyko makes great little media hub especially for PS3... it fits perfectly and costs only $20... you'll end up having 2 extra USB ports and SD/MS card reader.

Just check their site... I would post the link but since this is my 1st post I am not allowed... :D

here ya go

Nyko - Products Product Detail

just to let you know I dont support nyko.. I bought one of their products and it was a charge kit with batteries for the 360 and I could not connect to the 360 when those batteries where in my controller, ever since then I have bought first party only.

I known what you mean about supporting 3rd party products... there is a lot of crap out there but since Sony, for whatever reason, does not offer USB hub for PS3 Nyko one is not only cheap but looks and works OK.

BTW... thanks for providing the link.

It does? Wow I didn't know that. Cool.

Re SACD on the older PS3s. It was the feature that pushed me over the top to spring for the bucks. And I waited on buying my OPPO until it supported both SACD and DVD-A.

Re SACD on the older PS3s. It was the feature that pushed me over the top to spring for the bucks. And I waited on buying my OPPO until it supported both SACD and DVD-A.

I have the 60gig version.

Then you're good to go for SACD. That's the model I have. Cold dead fingers sort of thing, you know. And I haven't a single PS3 game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts