Can no longer get sat 61.5/HD channels

cbrodsky

Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Southern NY
Hi -

Last winter, we upgraded to the HD DVR package. We have a DISH 500 receiver with the dual LNB on it. We have a second satellite that points in more of a southeast direction – also called dish500 but single LNB and I have no idea what it’s for.

We started having problems this year when leaves came out, which looks like a borderline case with the DISH500 – although we have had no problems for the past 5 years prior to the upgrade. I trimmed some trees near the dish which seemed to help for a few weeks but it's now worse. I suspect that signal is the issue as there are mature trees across a field that perhaps finally grew enough to cause a problem with the line of sight. So, I moved the dish up 4 feet figuring that was probably as much growth as I would have had on the trees – last year we had no issues. However, we also didn’t have HD, and I’m wondering if that is requiring a different line of sight?

I can get sat. 119 signal to a max of 75, and the standard def channels come in fine. When we pick a HD channel, it looks for 61.5. When I pick either of those in the point dish screen, I get a “Wrong Sat – Echostar 119” error. I’ve checked each adjustment and can’t do better – even after raising the dish 4 feet higher.

Any ideas on steps I can do to mitigate this or am I stuck with cable at this point?

Thanks,
Colin

Try a check switch and see if that helps bring back 61.5. A reboot also couldn't hurt. If all else fails you could actually call the dish TECH department and ask them what to do. IF you need a replacement lnb or a tech vist , call and add the dish home protection insurance for 5.99 a month. Once the problem is corrected you can drop it again . It can be added and taken off as needed.

check switch test

Try a check switch and see if that helps bring back 61.5. A reboot also couldn't hurt. If all else fails you could actually call the dish TECH department and ask them what to do. IF you need a replacement lnb or a tech vist , call and add the dish home protection insurance for 5.99 a month. Once the problem is corrected you can drop it again . It can be added and taken off as needed.

After running checkswitch, it says that it’s found fewer satellites than previously detected. I’m not going to “save” given the warning that this would lose channels.

I’ve had dish here twice in the past 3 or so years to replace the switch box mounted right next to the satellite that is closer to the house – which shouldn’t have any reception issues.

The fact that this problem has been degrading in recent weeks makes me think that there is a reception problem here as well but right now, I can’t get any signal on 61.5 or 110. 119 is steady at ~80.

I will eventually call Dish but in the past they have been very tedious to deal with, and usually try to make me pay to replace their broken equipment, which I find ridiculous. I’ve done the service plan game before, and also threatened to quit the second time this happened.

Remember the signal comes from 22° higher than the dish appears to point! I've seen neighbors clear trees that are way too low to be an issue because the dish LOOKS like its pointing at them, when in reality the problem was a branch they thought they were "looking" under.

See ya
Tony

I suspect your 61.5 dish (most of your HD channels) got out of alignment or otherwise developed a problem, and you started working on the wrong dish (110/119) and now that's messed up too. 119 is lower on the horizon than 110. Very low from NY. It's possible that a tree grew up in front of 110 and not 119, but that's rather unlikely. I suspect that dish was fine all along until you moved it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)