Can old BJU Homesat Receiver H2100IR be repurposed for FTA?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anik

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 28, 2004
U.S.A.
I have a friend (not local to me, unfortunately) who found a lady on Craigslist that was giving away a satellite system. He's been hearing me talk about FTA and so he went and got it. From the way he describes it, it's similar to the system described at this link and he got receiver, dish and LNB.

Interestingly, on that page it notes, "The 2008-2009 school year is the final year that the Homesat service will be available via satellite, scheduled to end on May 31, 2009. After that date, the classes will only be available through alternative means." (I'll forego making any snarky comments about BJU and why people might not want their service). The elimination of the service means that potentially there will be more of these systems that are not being used for anything. If someone is willing to give one away, it would definitely be worthwhile to get the dish and LNB, if you find such a system, but what we can't figure out if whether the H2100IR receiver can be used for FTA. It apparently uses a conditional access card of some kind, which makes me wonder if it will work for FTA if the card is removed, or if it just goes dead.

The receiver is made by Atlanta DTH, Inc. but I cannot find anything about that receiver on their site. My friend wants to know if he actually has a fully functional system, or just half of one. :) If the thing won't work for FTA as is, are there any tricks that will make it work that anyone knows of?

You can get them to work, kind of.
There are no controls for a Motor or any type of Switch, , and no way to upload a working Firmware. Thougn I have read that you can JTag them back to a MicroRoyal.
Would work for a dedicated / fixed Dish Setup
The Dish and LNB work very well though.

I have a friend (not local to me, unfortunately) who found a lady on Craigslist that was giving away a satellite system. He's been hearing me talk about FTA and so he went and got it. From the way he describes it, it's similar to the system described at this link and he got receiver, dish and LNB.

Interestingly, on that page it notes, "The 2008-2009 school year is the final year that the Homesat service will be available via satellite, scheduled to end on May 31, 2009. After that date, the classes will only be available through alternative means." (I'll forego making any snarky comments about BJU and why people might not want their service). The elimination of the service means that potentially there will be more of these systems that are not being used for anything. If someone is willing to give one away, it would definitely be worthwhile to get the dish and LNB, if you find such a system, but what we can't figure out if whether the H2100IR receiver can be used for FTA. It apparently uses a conditional access card of some kind, which makes me wonder if it will work for FTA if the card is removed, or if it just goes dead.

The receiver is made by Atlanta DTH, Inc. but I cannot find anything about that receiver on their site. My friend wants to know if he actually has a fully functional system, or just half of one. :) If the thing won't work for FTA as is, are there any tricks that will make it work that anyone knows of?

Is that the system that I saw "free" in Belding , Mi ? I was tempted to drive over there just for the dish !
:)

Is that the system that I saw "free" in Belding , Mi ? I was tempted to drive over there just for the dish !
:)

I believe so - my friend is in Grand Rapids and he said he spent a whole $7 on gas to go get the system, so that sounds about right. :)

You can get them to work, kind of.
There are no controls for a Motor or any type of Switch, , and no way to upload a working Firmware. Thougn I have read that you can JTag them back to a MicroRoyal.
Would work for a dedicated / fixed Dish Setup
The Dish and LNB work very well though.

Well, he was thinking of using it for only one satellite. Is there any site that describes how to do the JTag thing, that you're aware of?

If it is for one Sat, then no need to JTag. :)
After Dish is pointed, just need to enter TP info and Scan.
If he is a First Timer, it may be difficult.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)