Can someone explain the NFL "double-header" blackout rule for Sundays?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JonUrban

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Eastern Connecticut
Not sure if I have the terminology correct, but for example, last Sunday:

FOX had two games on, starting at 1pm.

CBS had two games on, starting at 1pm.

However, in most markets, the second CBS game (in my case, the Jets/Saints game), was not shown by the local CBS affiliate because FOX had the Dallas game on. In NYC, CH2 was able to broadcast the game.

Why is the local CBS station not allowed to show the second CBS game?

I assume this is some archaic blackout rule that annoys sports fans in all of the sports, but this one I cannot figure out the logic to. Why would they want to "protect" FOX at the expense of CBS?

I figure of all places, someone here would know the answer.

:confused:

There are rules allowing local affiliates to show games in that area (likely why it was on NYC Ch2).

Otherwise, Fox and CBS alternate who gets to have a double header. This was Fox's weekend to show 2 games.

New York did not have a 1pm game on CBS, but had a 4pm game instead. Each market only had one game on CBS (either 1pm Eastern or 4pm Eastern). Next week CBS gets double header and FOX gets either 1pm or 4pm. Each network gets 8 weeks of the first 16 in which they get a doubleheader. Week 17 both get doubleheaders, but there is no Monday Night game.

New York did not have a 1pm game on CBS, but had a 4pm game instead. Each market only had one game on CBS (either 1pm Eastern or 4pm Eastern). Next week CBS gets double header and FOX gets either 1pm or 4pm. Each network gets 8 weeks of the first 16 in which they get a doubleheader. Week 17 both get doubleheaders, but there is no Monday Night game.

OK. So NYC did not have a 1pm CBS game, where my CBS station did (Patriots), therefore, they could not show the Jets because they had already shown a game.

That part makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is why can't they both show two games every Sunday? Is this to protect "Sunday Ticket" sales? Seems odd.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES! This place it THE BEST at stuff like this! :up;)

OK. So NYC did not have a 1pm CBS game, where my CBS station did (Patriots), therefore, they could not show the Jets because they had already shown a game.

That part makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is why can't they both show two games every Sunday? Is this to protect "Sunday Ticket" sales? Seems odd.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES! This place it THE BEST at stuff like this! :up;)
The DH rules have nothing to do with ST as they have been in place for nearly 40 years. The networks like having a DH because the audiences are bigger for the late games. If both Fox and CBS had DH's every week they couldn't get as many people to watch the big games. This is why they alternate DH's each week. Keeps things fair.

its very simple...I'll split it in two

If you are in a primary market
-If the local team is at home (and not blacked out) NO OTHER GAME can be shown during the same time on the opposing network
-If the team is on the road and the opposite network is the DH network, you get both games on the DH network.

If you are in a secondary market you get 3 games. There are no rules on that. But if the opposite network is a singleheader, usually in secondary markets they wont go up against the "local" (per se) team

So its pretty simple..in my case (MN) if the Vikes are at home I only get one CBS game (usually the late game). If the Vikes are on the road, I can get an opposite game. Wekk 2 that happened. Vikes on Fox at noon..Packers on CBS also at noon. We got both games.

Secondary markets get 3 games a week always. But in some markets if the opposite network is the SH network, they try not to go against the local team. Example would be Duluth, MN. If CBS has the SH and the Vikes are on Fox (and the Pack arent on CBS) the CBS in the market will show the opposite time frame (usually the late one)

There is one exception and that is week 1. Since CBS only has early games (due to Tennis at 4:15) you get a CBS game regardless if the team is at home or on the road

The only problem with that rule Ice is that it's not always the case...

in Philly we tend to always get an AFC game on CBS as well as our local game on FOX at the same time. The only exception is when the Eagles play an AFC team (away) in which case the game airs on CBS and there is no game on FOX (or vice versa if the Eagles are home)

Dan I dont follow your logic

If you are in the local philly market and the Eagles are at home, no game can go opposite it on local TV. If they are on the road, then there can be a game opposite it

case in point....this weeks the Vikes are in St Louis and we have that game on Fox at noon and Pittsburgh/Detroit on CBS also at noon

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts