Can someone give me a play by play (installation)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
Ok, I've posted another "similar" question but I really wanted to be more specific on what I need to do. Can you give me a play by play on what I would need to do to install another dvr where I now have a regular receiver? I have a dvr in another room and want to add another. I have a dual lnb dish.

What do I mean by specific? Well, can you start at the dish and work your way down? Meaning, do I have to do anything at all at the dish or does it start further down than that? The cable from the dish (on the roof) comes down the side of the house to a place right outside the cellar where the ground has been hooked in, etc. Then on the inside in cellar is a small box with 3 cables coming in and 4 going out (I assume 2 to the dvr I have now and the other 2 to the regular receivers I have).

Can you walk me thru this? I know I need a switch..exactly what do I need and where can I get it reasonable? I will probably buy the dvr myself outright from ebay or a local company. I'm getting the run around on that too...dtv says commitment no matter what and the local guy (and ebay guy) say no commitment if you own the equipment.

THANK YOU if you can take the time to help me. Trying to save some money, dtv wants 99 bucks to come and do this and I KNOW I have enough brains to do it myself. :yes

Sounds like you have a 3x4 multiswitch in the basement with which I assume is an OTA antenna or cable diplexed in. You should have two lines already coming down to the exisiting switch from the dish which you wouldn't need to do anything with. You just need to swap out the switch with a 3x8 to give you more outputs then run another line to the new DVR location so you can use both tuners.

Something like this would work...

Last edited:
THANK YOU so very much! So, nothing needs to be done outside, it's all just an addition of a cable mainly. What is an OTA (I'll be an installer by the time I'm done)? I don't have to do anything on the 3 side coming in? Just add the cable on the 8 side? Can it be that easy?

i just did this http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=70636 and today they installed my new R15-300 for free along with the $5 credit for 6 months. plus i was able to keep my existing reciever active so i can take it down to my camp. so in escence i added a dvr to my plan for free, and get to keep it after my committment is done in february. im only on a 1 yr. also

andreah1 said:
What is an OTA?
OTA = Over The Air which is the signal from an outdoor or indoor antenna. In addition to the extra cabling, you will have to pay the $4.99/mth fee for any extra receivers that are activated. Since I've never owned a D* DVR, I'm not sure if you have to pay an extra $4.99/mth for the 2nd line in. :confused:

MTSZ, wow, you got a great deal. I'm gonna try the retention line either tonight or tomorrow and tell them I'm seriously thinking of switching (I am) and that all I'm asking for is a dvr for the same price I can get it from an authorized dealer on ebay (under 100 bucks which I'm willing to pay) with no commitment. I would think they would be able to do that if other people are getting credits and so on. Guess it won't hurt to ask.
On the OTA I'm not sure, we don't have an indoor or outdoor antenna but whatever, as long as I know all I need is that switch, some cable and connectors I'm happy. We eventually want to get an antenna, maybe that's why he did that...we're WAY out in the country.
thanks again everyone....

yeah but remember just be calm be cool... kind of become their friend and dont argue. just BS a little that youv'e had some billing problems and CS just sent you over to the retention (dont say retention) people saying because of all the problems that they would be the best people to help you get the DVR you are looking for. just ask them what deal can they get you on a DVR because of the problems. try as little as possible to bring up the switching. because then they already know that you are trying to get the most out of them. play dumb, compliment them if possible that you love Directv and seen an ad about the DVR but only got the tail end of it because you couldn't rewind because no DVR. just don't fire all your bullets in the start. work with the person and be patient. kindness kills.

Will do, I'm definately not a nasty person, if anything I'll whine. I can't play the "can't rewind" game though because I already have 1 dvr. I did get two different answers on the commitment part (one said yes, other said no) so I'll say I got sent over here because I wanted a straight answer and to see if anything could be done to help me out. I won't mention the switching, just try the "love dtv" thing instead.

andreah1 said:
MTSZ, wow, you got a great deal. I'm gonna try the retention line either tonight or tomorrow and tell them I'm seriously thinking of switching (I am) and that all I'm asking for is a dvr for the same price I can get it from an authorized dealer on ebay (under 100 bucks which I'm willing to pay) with no commitment. I would think they would be able to do that if other people are getting credits and so on. Guess it won't hurt to ask.
On the OTA I'm not sure, we don't have an indoor or outdoor antenna but whatever, as long as I know all I need is that switch, some cable and connectors I'm happy. We eventually want to get an antenna, maybe that's why he did that...we're WAY out in the country.
thanks again everyone....

You will be required to recommit, but they will probally give you the DVR free.

Awesome!

Nope, no commitment!!!! That retention line is just fabulous. I nicely explained that I had been given a couple different answers and wanted to straighten it out...told her what I wanted to do, buy my own dvr, install it myself. She said yes, they do ask for a commitment usually but she'd put a note on my account (gave me her intials which was a special number they can refer to) that when I call for activation there will be no commitment. While we were talking she noticed my 1 yr. anniversary was on July 16th and offerered to give me a 50 dollar credit on my bill!!!! WOW! I totally didn't expect that and told her she's the most wonderful person I've talked to in awhile! :D I'm so glad I called. Now I'll get my dvr ordered and get it hooked up! I asked about sending the regular receiver back but she said it's noted on my account that I own the equip (I never bought anything) and I can do whatever I want with it. Awesome!!!!

Maybe we did! She was very nice, she was even talking to me about how she had just had her 30th anniversary, etc...very nice lady. I wanted her name so bad so I could ask for her again but they aren't allowed. I'll be sure to keep her initials just in case I want to talk to her again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)