Can someone point out when HD locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr. Kennedy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 1, 2007
are set to be launched for the Colorado Springs market? Is there a website that shows when Directv or Dish plan on offering them?

OTA HD is available, but will postpone getting an OTA antenna if it's going to be next spring or so.

Thanks!

1. No set firm dates
2. No website listing
3. Even with DBS retransmitted HD locals, you STILL want to have the proper OTA installed.

Why OTA and D* locals?

Hi,
I'm curious, why do you recommend having OTA even if D* has you local channels in HD? I'm in the same boat as the main poster...live in Colo Spgs and am DYING for them to get on the ball with our local HD channels.

Typically you will have a better picture with OTA, you get all the sub channels and during bad (severe) weather when the sat signal is out your OTA still come in.

Do you guys think there is a remote chance I could receive OTA signal with indoor antenna from 45 to 50 miles? I think I know the answer but just thought I would ask. I'm in the Macon GA area and we have OTA but no locals in HD thru Direct. Is there a way for me to get the locals out of Atlanta? I have all the DNS Locals out of NY but would rather see Atlanta.

Do you guys think there is a remote chance I could receive OTA signal with indoor antenna from 45 to 50 miles? I think I know the answer but just thought I would ask. I'm in the Macon GA area and we have OTA but no locals in HD thru Direct. Is there a way for me to get the locals out of Atlanta? I have all the DNS Locals out of NY but would rather see Atlanta.

The Zenith Silver Sensor is an antenna (indoor ) that has been highly touted.
50 miles in not all that far , you might want to try one.

Jimbo

New to the board and HDTV.. So feel free to ridicule me if this is a stupid question.. Is there a decent indoor OTA antenna that can be bought for less than $50? I'm pretty sure I am only 20 mi max away from my stations.. Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
WELCOME!

What is your zip code? There is more at play than just distance. You must also consider what band the digital is broadcasting on and what direction each tower is from your location; IF they are not all located in one general location.

Added: I used 12179 for Troy, NY and get the following info (you look real good) You should be able to get digital with a set of rabbit ears for $12. YEP!

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 176
I'm 12180 but that's splitting hairs.. Anyway.. A cheap set of Rabbit Ears hooked into my D* HD20 will work? If my wife finds out it was that easy, i'm gonna get the reaming of a lifetime..

Thanks

I'm 12180 but that's splitting hairs.. Anyway.. A cheap set of Rabbit Ears hooked into my D* HD20 will work? If my wife finds out it was that easy, i'm gonna get the reaming of a lifetime..

Thanks

Would she be more or less ticked off if she knew you had to mount a $75-100 8-foot long antenna to your chimney to get locals via OTA? :D :p

Would she be more or less ticked off if she knew you had to mount a $75-100 8-foot long antenna to your chimney to get locals via OTA? :D :p

You should have seen her when the installer said he had to mount the 5lnb on the front of the house :mad::mad::mad:.. Luckily I pointed out our mud room roof would be the perfect spot to get maximum line of sight with no aesthetic changes (glad I did a little research).. The 8 footer would get vetoed and I would still be without Network HD channels :(.. Guess I gotta suck it up and take my beating ;)

Rabbit ears? I doubt it. Mount a decent directional UHF/VHF antenna in your attic. Wifey sees nothing up there.

Last edited:
Vurbano has a good point with hiding a good antenna in the attic, but it is certainly worth $20 to run to radio shack and get a simple ant first and see how well it works. If it doesn't (and don't be surprised if it doesn't work 100%), then return that ant and upgrade. No sense buying a cadillac when a yugo will work just fine.

Spent $5 on a set of ears and I'm happy with what I'm getting for now.. Had to go to work but I'll have some time to futz this weekend.. I'm sure I'll be creating another thread with some more questions..

Vurbano has a good point with hiding a good antenna in the attic, but it is certainly worth $20 to run to radio shack and get a simple ant first and see how well it works. If it doesn't (and don't be surprised if it doesn't work 100%), then return that ant and upgrade. No sense buying a cadillac when a yugo will work just fine.
Thats the rub. The not 100% thing would drive me up the wall. I am about 19 miles out and went through so many indoor antennas...But I am in multipath hell too.

If you live on the north side of Macon you may get a good signal with a good antenna, I lived out across from Rivalres Bar before I retired to Fl. I had to put up a big antenna about 40' up like the one I have now.

myantennas.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.