Can SW31 be used to connect 2 receivers to 1 output?

SlowSL

Original poster
Apr 1, 2010
indiana
Have a 1000.4 dish, 3 outputs. I have one duo on port 1, one duo on port 2, one solo on port 3, and have one other solo that needs hooked up. I have a SW31 laying around, can the switch be used in reverse? I don't want to buy an expensive switch to do this, any suggestions?

Have a 1000.4 dish, 3 outputs. I have one duo on port 1, one duo on port 2, one solo on port 3, and have one other solo that needs hooked up. I have a SW31 laying around, can the switch be used in reverse? I don't want to buy an expensive switch to do this, any suggestions?

No,You can't, first a Sw 31 is a legacy system and it won't work with you current setup,If you have a 1000.4 the it must have Dpp44 so therefore you must have a port 4 free.

The only way, other than the expensive DPP44, is to cable up two separators as follows. Note that I am speculating this might work since it works on the DPP twin. :eek: Sat 2 outputs on both separators go to the two tuners on one of your Duo receivers, while the Sat 1 outputs go to your two Solos. The 3rd 1000.4 output goes to the other of your Duos as now. This requires one more separator than you have at present, and possibly a whole lot more RG6. But both together won't cost anywhere near what a DPP44 costs.

there is no such thing as a SW31

Yes it exist, is a legacy switch for 3 sats locations one ird output

sw31.jpg

Last edited:
I have yet to find someone who was able to split the signal between two receivers. The separator is made to feed two tuners on the same receiver.
Using a separator like that is not spiting the the sat signal. DPP equipment stacks two sat signals on each cable, the separator separates them apart (hence the name). DishPro receivers can only read the lower frequency one, ProPlus receivers can read both the higher and lower frequency signals.

P.S. If any one ever noticed that the signal on one of tuners on their dual tuner receiver is lower than the other it the cable is bad. The reason it would impact one tuner more than the other is that the higher frequency signal is more affected by corrosion and cabling issues.

Last edited:
what happened to the good old legacy days when you actually could just use splitters and it would work (for a while anyway.)
ive never heard of a sw31 though.
anyway, in this case dpp44 is the way to go. any other route is asking for future trouble.

Sorry guys, I actually had an error when posting this message, so I clicked back and didn't realize it actually was posted. I got to thinking about it a little more and realize how far off I am... lol. They are listed out there as a SW31, but on the casing it says SW2-31 or maybe SW21 3-1, can't remember. shows 3 ports labeled 110, 119 & 61.5. They are all VIP receivers so they are capable of stacking two tuners on one line. I remember I have a duplexer and triplexer (separators) sitting around. I should be able to use that on ouput 3 to connect the two solos right?
Thanks for all the help.

211s are only Dishpro not Proplus their tuners will only read the lower frequency signal. what you would have to do would be to run two cables to one the dual tuner receivers and hook up port #2 on both of the separators to the dual tuner. That being said I'd still go for the 44 switch because the separators are only power pass on one side and if the device on the power pass side is disconnected or malfunctioning the device hooked on the other side will be adversely affected.

Oh okay, I see. I think I will still try my luck w/ what I have, if I run into problems I guess I'll fork out the cash for a switch. I still don't completely understand how you explained this setup. Just for clarification, I have two Duos, and two solos. Would I then need 3 duplexer (separators)?

Something like this?
10004.jpg

That would probably work. But here is a little simpler way. I would also like to apologize if I wasn't clear enough.

Attachments

• seperator trick.jpg
    seperator trick.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 139
Yes, that would be easier, thank you so much. I sometimes don't understand things if I don't see them, so this helps a lot! Also, I have triplexer... what can that be used for? I know obviously the two tuners, but what would be the point in having a 3rd port on it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)