Can the 921 do this?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
G

Guest

Guest
Will the 921 allow you to record from two of the tuners at the same time AND either watch a recorded show or watch from the third tuner?
 

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
16,563
340
Western WV
It does not have a third tuner. You can record two shows at the same time and watch both of those at the same time or watch a prerecorded show in the DVR Events screen while watching one of the shows from one of the tuners whether it is recording or not at the same time.
 

n0qcu

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
4,900
1,483
Earth
Guest said:
Will the 921 allow you to record from two of the tuners at the same time AND either watch a recorded show or watch from the third tuner?
YES you record from two of the tuners at the same time you watch a previously recorded event. You can only use two tuners at the same time so you cannot record two and watch third.

Stargazer, there is a total of three tuners on the 921: 2 Satellite & 1 OTA.
 

bytre

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
159
0
So can you record two satellite and 1 OTA at the same time, plus watch a fourth program?
 

DVDDAD

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
786
12
Huntington, Long Island, NY
bytre said:
So can you record two satellite and 1 OTA at the same time, plus watch a fourth program?

No, can only record two shows at once, either 2 from satellite or 1 satellite and 1 OTA, plus watch a third pre-recorded program at the same time.
 

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
33,300
10,399
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Two data streams I/O on the hard drive maximum. Record two but watch one of them or watch from the third tuner.
Record two new shows while watching a third prerecorded show is 3 data streams I/O on the hard drive. The spec sheet does say this works but the engineer said not. You'll have to wait and see :)

You may discover that even the two data streams may not record / playback without issues.

Be pleasantly surprised if it works flawlessly. If it does it is probably due to low data rates in the program.
 

bbriggs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 22, 2003
32
0
Don Landis said:
Two data streams I/O on the hard drive maximum. Record two but watch one of them or watch from the third tuner.
Record two new shows while watching a third prerecorded show is 3 data streams I/O on the hard drive. The spec sheet does say this works but the engineer said not. You'll have to wait and see :)

Recording 2 data streams while watching from 3rd tuner would add a 3rd data stream inasmuch as the unit will try to buffer that which we are viewing, true? I'd hate to not have the data buffering feature, but expect seldom will I need to record 2 while viewing a 3rd.

Given that the data rates are much greater for HD, might the unit work as advertised if 1 or none of the data streams are HD?
 

jcrash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
221
0
Tulsa
bbriggs said:
Don Landis said:
Two data streams I/O on the hard drive maximum. Record two but watch one of them or watch from the third tuner.
Record two new shows while watching a third prerecorded show is 3 data streams I/O on the hard drive. The spec sheet does say this works but the engineer said not. You'll have to wait and see :)

Recording 2 data streams while watching from 3rd tuner would add a 3rd data stream inasmuch as the unit will try to buffer that which we are viewing, true? I'd hate to not have the data buffering feature, but expect seldom will I need to record 2 while viewing a 3rd.

Given that the data rates are much greater for HD, might the unit work as advertised if 1 or none of the data streams are HD?


Actually, I'd think recording two while watching one of the ones you are recording would be 3 IO streams. Two writing to disk and one reading - most likely not live. If the requirement is that you can only record two things if you are willing to watch one of them live, then they need to go back to the drawing board and design in a faster bus more memory, a faster CPU or something.
 

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
33,300
10,399
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Since it's a large capacity hard drive don't your think the limitation is hard drive seek time rather than data thruput, memory, or cpu horsepower?
There may be limitations to all this activity that are not in the current specs. a la "the devil's in the details" I often find that specs written by marketing types are accurate under special conditions which are conveniently left out. Consumers often read the specs and assume it applies to all conditions.

For now it's no point in arguing as the truth will be know soon enough and agreeing with bbrigs- the times one needs to tax the system like this may be rare but it is interesting that the system is being advertised to do this. Let's see if it really works as consumers expect... Perfect in all conditions.
 

jcrash

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 26, 2003
221
0
Tulsa
Don Landis said:
Since it's a large capacity hard drive don't your think the limitation is hard drive seek time rather than data thruput, memory, or cpu horsepower?
There may be limitations to all this activity that are not in the current specs. a la "the devil's in the details" I often find that specs written by marketing types are accurate under special conditions which are conveniently left out. Consumers often read the specs and assume it applies to all conditions.

For now it's no point in arguing as the truth will be know soon enough and agreeing with bbrigs- the times one needs to tax the system like this may be rare but it is interesting that the system is being advertised to do this. Let's see if it really works as consumers expect... Perfect in all conditions.

Dunno about rare, we do this every wednesday and thursday night at my house.

As you say, time will tell, but if HD DirectTivo is sufficiently superior to the 921, I think a lot of current 721'rs hoping to be 921'rs might become DirectTVr's
 

bytre

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
159
0
I'm certainly looking forward to stressing the system to see what its limits are.
 

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
33,300
10,399
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I stated earlier:

"Two data streams I/O on the hard drive maximum. Record two but watch one of them or watch from the third tuner.
Record two new shows while watching a third prerecorded show is 3 data streams I/O on the hard drive. The spec sheet does say this works but the engineer said not. You'll have to wait and see

You may discover that even the two data streams may not record / playback without issues.

Be pleasantly surprised if it works flawlessly. If it does it is probably due to low data rates in the program."



OK, I stand corrected and was pleasantly surprised reading Marks hands on report. Glad to hear the feedback I got from one of the Eldon Engineers has been since made dated or incorrect and this is now verified to work.
 

markdl

Registered User
Sep 8, 2003
352
0
Don, I wanted to reply to your statement yesterday so much I pretty much had to tie my hands behind my back to keep from doing it before I had clearance to talk about it. :D
 

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
33,300
10,399
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
It's fun to be wrong when it comes to stuff like this.

But I see you have verified my other piece of insider info about the quantity of ready to ship 921's now.


Sure wish they would start shipping and let the bug fixes be done in download. But I understand they are bowing to all the whiny whimps who hunt for anything to bash Dish about.
 

markdl

Registered User
Sep 8, 2003
352
0
Hmmm...I know a site admin here who likes to do that from time to time... :D <--- Yes, notice the smiley!

(Sorry Scott - just having fun with you!)
 

ericha

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 21, 2003
64
0
Perhaps the engineer was correct that the disk is limited to 2 I/O streams--that is 2 Inputs and 2 Outputs. That would be necessary for PIP (with pause capability on both pictures), and would allow recording 2 programs & watching a third program that was already recorded (2 ins and 1 out). But you couldn't record 2 and watch a 3rd live--that would be 3 ins (for the pause capability) and 1 out.
 
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Top