Can the 942, 921, or 811 leave signal in native rez?

miamicanes

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 21, 2005
One thing that always irritated me about Voom's STB was its insistence upon personally converting everything into the same format (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i).

Do any of E*'s boxes have a setting that tells the box to send the channel (satellite and OTA) to the TV in whatever mode it was received in without screwing with it first? Or, if it HAS to screw with it, to at least have the decency of using Faroudja chips to do it so they can do it RIGHT?

You might want to ask this in the E* forum for more details, but when I had the DP811 it output the "native" resolution just fine.

miamicanes said:
One thing that always irritated me about Voom's STB was its insistence upon personally converting everything into the same format (1080i, 720p, 480p, or 480i).

The Voom STB did (and still does for OTA) allow for native signal pass through without conversion. However the pass through mode is not available from the install wizard. You need to press the little red button until all 4 of the orange lights flash.

ALL current dish HD receivers will output only the mode you set it to.
They do not output native.

Unless you are using a projector, most displays have a native resolution, so typically you set your HD box to match it and leave it there, again unless you have a projector.

The problem is, most satellite boxes are designed to be as cheap as possible, for use by mass-market consumers who wouldn't know the difference between FuguTek and Faroudja if their lives depended on it. If you have an expensive TV with Faroudja-licensed chips inside, you're MUCH better off letting the TV handle the conversion than letting the box butcher it first and hoping the TV can clean up the mess and gore left behind. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts