Can the 942 record from either tuner?

pmetty

Original poster
Nov 27, 2005
I am looking to upgrade to HD. Can the 942 record from either tuner? Can it do it simultaneously?

Thanks - Phil

In fact, you can record from all 3 tuners (2 satellite and 1 OTA) and watch a previously recorded program at the same time. Feel free to ask any more questions, we're here to help!

lakebum431 said:
In fact, you can record from all 3 tuners (2 satellite and 1 OTA) and watch a previously recorded program at the same time. Feel free to ask any more questions, we're here to help!
One better - you can do all that and watch TWO previously recorded programs at the same time. :)

The 942 is a blast! :) You can even go back in time and get the first half hour of a program (or movie) that you've missed. Just hit the rewind button within the first half hour and press it again get it faster, then fast-forward to live TV to watch it from where you started.

There are other ways to get the first half too, but I found that one to be the most amusing/amazing.

In single user mode you can record from all 3 tuners (2 sat & 1 OTA).
In dual user mode you can record from only 1 sat & 1 OTA using your IR remote but meanwhile the UHF remote can record from the remaining sat tuner.

SimpleSimon said:
One better - you can do all that and watch TWO previously recorded programs at the same time. :)

I just did that last night and it worked great! The 942 thus far is an awesome box.

jergenf said:
In dual user mode you can record from only 1 sat & 1 OTA using your IR remote but meanwhile the UHF remote can record from the remaining sat tuner.
Is that correct? I thought you could set a preference from which tuner to record particular program. I'll give it a try when I get home.

long_time_DNC said:
The 942 is a blast! :) You can even go back in time and get the first half hour of a program (or movie) that you've missed. Just hit the rewind button within the first half hour and press it again get it faster, then fast-forward to live TV to watch it from where you started.

There are other ways to get the first half too, but I found that one to be the most amusing/amazing.
Yes - IF AND ONLY IF the tuner has ALREADY been "watching" that show for you.

long_time_DNC said:
I'm glad you mentioned that, since I left inadvertantly that part out. Yes, you have to have been on that channel in order to go back and the previous 30 minutes of it.

And I'm sure that both of you meant to say you could go back up to an hour , rather than a ½ hr. :yes

SaltiDawg said:
And I'm sure that both of you meant to say you could go back up to an hour , rather than a ½ hr. :yes

I was beginning to wonder if the 921 actually had a leg up on the 942. Like Simon said, it depends on the channel you are watching. On my 921, I can go an hour or so on an HD channel and at least 2 hours on an SD channel.

AND... if you are watching PIP, you can do it on both windows... a very cool feature. Of course, the 921 doesn't allow PIP while watching HD. Oh, the burden of an early adopter.

Does the 942 smart choose which tuner to record to?

Let's say
Show A is set to record on Tuner 2.
I'm using tuner 2 I set show b (different channels same time)

Will the 942 put Show B on Tuner 1? On the 522 it's a pain in the a$$, I have to constantly delete the conflicting timer and set it at the other TV.

I plan on getting a HD TV in the next 2 months, so the 942 is already on the list.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)