Can the military break the contract?

mexkhmer

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
Denver
I was wondering, if you for example serve in the military and you get mobilized to Germany, Japan. or have to serve a tour for a year in another country... can you annul the contract? Obviously you have to show proof like orders.

A customer if mine was able to cancel his contract when he faxed them the "orders" to serve overseas, they waived the ETF. Bad thing was that I got hit with a Charge Back. :(

The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)---formerly Soldiers and Sailors Civil Relief Act---may offer your some assistance in this matter - although it is typically used to break property leases in receipt of military orders and protect servicememebers against various court action while deployed. Offhand, I have no idea how it may impact your Dish Network contract...however, here are a few links for your reading pleasure:

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act
Dish Network and military suspension? - Yahoo! Answers
Military Clause with DirectTV? - Yahoo! Answers

The SCRA also affords service members additional protection. As a retired Marine I was frequently deployed for long periods of time. Toward the end of my 1st marriage my ex-wife did not pay two credit card bills for 4-5 months and my credit scores dropped from 800 to 5xx. While I still had to pay the bills I was able to use the SSCRA, along with the fact 100% of my paycheck was being deposited into my wife's account, to restore my excellent credit...just took several letters and 3-4 months to resolve.

Anyway, good luck, stay safe and thank-you for your service. My daughter's unit has been mobilized and she will be headed to Iraq next month. We couldn't be more proud of her.

Last edited:
My son's both serve and neither of them have had problems getting their services terminated. Sometime it just takes a call, other times you may have to fax something in.
Just do yourself a favor and document all phone calls and fax's. Just in case there is a hickup you have to resolve later.

as a loyalty agent i can confirm you can. you may be asked to fax in military orders stating your are moving. my coach doesnt require us to, but others do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)