can this be done with DVR 522

andy8888

Original poster
Mar 8, 2005
Hi thre,
just got the DVR 522 from dish network installed and really like it. I have it hooked up to 2 TVs. Now, I can record on one and watch something else on the other TV.
Is there anyway to record something and watch something else on the same TV?
Is there anyway to have a VCR hooked up so that you can record something to the VCR and watch something else on the same TV just like you would do with cable?
Please let me know if any of this is possible and how to do it.
Thanks

The 522 has two tuners. That means it can deal with two, and only two, incoming channels at one time. You can watch two shows at once, record two shows at once, or watch one show while recording another.

You can also watch two recorded shows while recording two others. After I got used to haveing a DVR, I found I rarely watched anything live. By turners just record things, and I watch when I feel like it.

Thanks. The installer said that if I record something on TV1, then I have to go to TV2 and watch something else. How can I record one thing and watch something else on the same TV unit?
Thanks

You can record on TV2 and watch on TV1 too. Or you can record on the TV1 tuner while wathcing something that has been previously recorded.

522 installation/config - do you have to have 2 TVs

But do you have to have 2 TVs or can you have both going into the same TV?
Can I switch between receivers on a single TV?

Help

If you put the receiver in "single" mode (press the mode button on the front of the receiver), you can use the PIP buttons to swap between the two tuners on TV1.

(It's a mystery to me why there is no mode button on the remote.)

If your tv has rce inputs you can put the tv2 input into the #1 tv as well. Then you can record on tuner one and switch to your input and watch something live on tuner 2.

Dave nye said:
If your tv has rce inputs you can put the tv2 input into the #1 tv as well. Then you can record on tuner one and switch to your input and watch something live on tuner 2.
But you have to use the TV2 remote to change channels on the TV2 tuner.

If you really want dual tuner capability on a single TV you should switch to Single mode. But then the set(s) connected to TV2 can only watch what TV #1 watches. It's a trade off so you have to figure out what your household wants more; watch two different shows in different locations or watch one live program and record another from the same location.

As mentioned a couple of times now PUT THE RECEIVER IN SINGLE MODE!!!
and yes it is dumb that you have to either get up to press the button on the front of the box, or navigate through a series of menus to do so

Or, you can simply split the rf modulated signal(at the receiver) that goes to tv2 and run the line to tv1 also.

fred

birddoggy said:
As mentioned a couple of times now PUT THE RECEIVER IN SINGLE MODE!!!
and yes it is dumb that you have to either get up to press the button on the front of the box, or navigate through a series of menus to do so

I hadn't found it in the menus, I think the only way is to actually get up and push the button? Or maybe I'm just not paying attention.

Single Mode

1st put in single mode, than go into the system setup and go to UHF pro setup for the #1 remote, enable it with the 1 remote than go to system info toggle up to the #1 address and press and hold the sat button the # 2 remote, all lights blink press whatever your #1 address is, usually 1 than press the pound sign, the lights will blink, now press record, your remote address should change to say UHF PRO/IR now and you can control it with the 2nd remote. Now you would have to watch the same picture in both rooms but now you basically have the control in both rooms

There is an option in preferences where you can setup "record plus", which enables recording for timers to default to say, TV2 if your preference is TV1.

andy8888 said:
Thanks. The installer said that if I record something on TV1, then I have to go to TV2 and watch something else. How can I record one thing and watch something else on the same TV unit?
Thanks

I have the DVR in single mode (one tv hooked up) and I'm able to record two shows with both tuners and watch a third recorded show at the same time.

It's not possible to record one show and watch another show with the same tuner. (Have you ever tried to listen to two radio stations on one radio?)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)