Can this be done?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hahler2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
Ashton, SD
Where I am at right now, I receive the national feed of NBC HD, and I get CBS and ABC OTA. There is no FOX. Now then, I have some relatives that own a house in a different area, and we basically use the place as a vacation home. When I checked on D*'s website, that address would automatically qualify for national feeds of NBC and FOX. Would it be wrong for me to change my physical address to this different home so that I can get FOX in HD? If I do decided to do it, how do I go about getting it accomplished?

It is done all the time. It might not be right according to the terms of the USER agreement, but you won't go to DBS jail either.

Just call D* and tell them you are moving and give them the address. Tell them to keep the billing address the same or since it is relatives let the bills go there anyway. Just get on CC or direct payment and it won't matter.

You will lose your local channels and if the area you are moving to's spot beam doesn't cover your area, then you will get no local channels.

Also, if you are in the Mountain or Pacific time zone, this might only work until summer as it is rumored that D* is going to shut off the LA MPEG-2 feeds after getting all western O&O's up with HD locals.

Not to threadjack here but how would DTV cut off the LA Mpeg 2 since parts of the rest of the country are still being served by the West Coast feed?

I am in Central time zone. I'm going to have to look into the local channels thing. I never thought of that. Not a big deal though since I'd be getting all the major networks still, and getting ABC and CBS locally OTA for my news and stuff. Could I tell them that I'm just moving my equipment to my vacation home and want my bill to come to my regular address still?

Ok good. 1 more question then. Would I have to unplug the phone line to my HD Tivo if I told them that I moved the equipment and then didn't?

i also live in an area where no local are available, i made up address of nearby city and got them

scotsmanron said:
Not to threadjack here but how would DTV cut off the LA Mpeg 2 since parts of the rest of the country are still being served by the West Coast feed?
If you look at the list of scheduled cities for the next round of HD-LIL's:

The following markets are scheduled to launch in April 2006:

Seattle, Minneapolis, Miami, Sacramento, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, San Diego, Charlotte, Hartford, Nashville, West Palm Beach & Birmingham.

The following markets are scheduled to launch in May 2006:

Phoenix, Cleveland, Denver, Orlando, St. Louis, Indianapolis, Raleigh - Durham, Kansas City, Columbus (OH), Milwaukee, Salt Lake City & Fresno.

you will see that all the Mountain and Pacific O&O's are going to be served. That explains Fresno at #54 getting HD-LIL's in the first 36.

So with all the O&O's covered by May 2006, D* has no real need for the LA MPEG-2 feeds. HD-DNS customers can be fed by the NY HD feeds.

As for what D* plans to do with the transponder space, one option would be to add more HD national channels:D , but most likely that space will be needed for the 2006 Sunday Ticket HD feeds as all the games will be in HD in 2006 vs. 9 of the 14 this past year. D* could always move ST-HD to MPEG-4 and either move it to the Ka birds requiring a receiver and dish swap, or they can leave it on the Ku birds but use MPEG-4 which will only require a receiver swap.

We will know by August.

ok guys, for us rookies out here...what is HD-LIL's? I live in West Palm, what does this mean for me? Pardon my ignorance on this one...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts