Can TV2 from VIP722 and antenna signal run on same coax?

samalex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Waco, Texas
Hi,

In our house all coax runs to a central closet, and from there I have everything tied together with the TV2 output on my VIP722 feeding the signal to all other Coax outlets in the house so we can watch TV2 on any of them. If I put an antenna on the house and ran the antenna coax into this closet then connected it to the coax coming from my VIP722 could I then get the OTA channels in addition to channel 73 (TV2 from VIP 722) on all other TV's? And on the VIP722 could I use a splitter on the coax and connect one to the TV2 output and one to the Antenna input so I can record OTA programming?

Just curious if this scenario is possible.

Thanks,
Sam

Hi,

In our house all coax runs to a central closet, and from there I have everything tied together with the TV2 output on my VIP722 feeding the signal to all other Coax outlets in the house so we can watch TV2 on any of them. If I put an antenna on the house and ran the antenna coax into this closet then connected it to the coax coming from my VIP722 could I then get the OTA channels in addition to channel 73 (TV2 from VIP 722) on all other TV's? And on the VIP722 could I use a splitter on the coax and connect one to the TV2 output and one to the Antenna input so I can record OTA programming?

Just curious if this scenario is possible.

Thanks,
Sam

No it is not possible but only because channel 73 is a cable channel and your TV's can't tune to both cable and OTA at the same time. Now select ch 60 an OTA channel on your 722 and combine it with a strong OTA signal and you should be able to program your TV's for the NTSC signal from the 722 and the ATSC signal from the LOCAL ANTENNA.

No it is not possible but only because channel 73 is a cable channel and your TV's can't tune to both cable and OTA at the same time. Now select ch 60 an OTA channel on your 722 and combine it with a strong OTA signal and you should be able to program your TV's for the NTSC signal from the 722 and the ATSC signal from the LOCAL ANTENNA.

Yea, that should work on most newer televisions.

Or get a 722k with the MT2 Dual Over The Air Tuners Module and your OTA channels will show up in the TV2 guide.

Then you will be able to record 4 programs at the same time because you will have 4 tuners,2SAT+2OTA.:)

I am running 4 RF modulators combined with the antenna signal to all the rooms in my house. You have to choose channels for the modulators that are not used by any OTA TV channel or other service since the channels above 51 are now available for other use. In the DFW area there are 33 OTA TV channels which limited the channels I could use. I use channels 17, 22, 53 and 57.

Last edited:
I have my ota combined with the home distribution of my 722k. they are combined via an amplifier/splitter that feeds 3 other tv's. Each of those tv's in turn can watch any of the ota channels or the tv2 tuner of the 722k. works very well, excpet for tv2 not being hd. this is why I have not switched to the hopper/joey setup. I do not want to run additional cables to each of those tv's

I combined OTA, cable and VIP RF for several years but always had a tough time matching signal strengths. My coax "network" (AKA rat's nest) developed over several years and there were line amps of different age and bandpass spread all over the place.

I always wanted to start with a clean attic but got to HDMI before that happened so now there are just remnants that do a crappy job of 612 TV2 SD to the guest rooms and an OTA feed to two Pannys in the front of the house.

Should I show my Antenna + 2 722s + (unused) DVD diagram? OK,
-Ken

Dish plus antenna

DPP44#1--[power.insert]-->[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........+-------------------------------<[Out.1+2..#1]
........|...........................+--->[Ant.in.....]
........|...........................|
DPP44#2------------------>[Separator]===>[Sat.1,2.722]
........|.+-----------------------------<[Out.1+2..#2]
........|.|.........................|.+->[Ant.in.....]
........|.+--->[#1.UHF/]...[4-out]>-+.|
........+----->[#2.VHF.]...[UHF/.]>---+.[split]>->DVD.in.etc.
UHF/VHF.ant--->[#3.4-in]-->[VHF..]>---->[2/3/4]>->TV
DVD.out------->[#4.-6dB]...[+10dB]>-+
....................................+-->[rf.]
DPP44#3-------------------------------->[sat]>-->Remote.622

In theory it could feed out a small signal to antenna but
I have 45 miles to TV towers and only 1 or 2 houses in that direction.
Note use of a 10dB gain amp (Radio Shack) with 4 outputs.
It may look like loop back but they are at different frequencies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)