Can two antennas be combined?

blanquitoman1984

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
Fontana, CA
Sorry if the question is too easy guys. I would like to know if it is possible to improve my signal by joining two antennas via a splitter. I know that I can do this combing with my dish receivers so I would like to know if it is possible wit the antenna. The reason for this is because I would like to improve my signal strength and see I I can pull in any other channels. My lowest signal strength is 70 and that is what I am looking to improve on. I am thinking either 1) Buy an amp 2) Add a second antenna (reason for my question) or 3) Get a whole new antenna. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks in advance for the help.

This is what the antenna looks like.
AN3016.jpg

If you don't have a preamp I highly recommend one (I can't pick up a single station without one) , I like ones made by Channel Master.

Here are a few links for combining antennas,

A 16-Bay UHF Antenna
Can I combine antennas?
Channel Master JoinTennas
Winegard Antenna Joiner Coupler

Even though your lowest signal is only 70% does the signal strength fluctuate or is it stable?

EDIT - I see that your in Fontana CA, So I am guessing that your going after the LA local channels, which channel are you having problems with?
In 2009 channels 7,9,11,13 will be returning to the VHF band and the antenna you have in the picture will work better than it does now. (Right now the local channels are in the UHF band)

As for whether you can combine 2 antennas let me add this. I have a clip on antenna powered by my DBS receiver. I also have an amplified splitter to send the signal to an analog and to a digital tuner. I also have a small powered outdoor HDTV antenna about 4 x 6 inches. My problem was that each source brings in some stations better, some worse than the other.

So I got a splitter and combined the 2 antennas and at least in digital signals I have more consistent signal strength. Some channels lost strength while others gain but it balanced out. Didn't work out quite as well for analog though.

I may later opt for a good outdoor antenna but for now this works well enough for me (I get all my local digital channels) except for when it's windy I suspect moving tree limbs cause the weaker signals to get temporarily disrupted, but for the moment these disruptions are tolerable.

Stacking two antennas will give you maybe 3dB more signal and the antennas must be identical, so you really might be better off going with one premium antennna, some of which can get you that much extra gain by themselves.

The first link in the better signal equasion is to have the BEST antenna for your needs. Determine which frequency band(s) you receive and buy the highest quality and best antenna of that genre.

UHF only - Antennas Direct 91XG or Channel Master 4228.
VHF only - Wade Delhi or Winegard HD series or Channel Master 3600 series.
Combo - combo is never the best selection UHF is generally weak on combos, but same series Winegards and Channel Master applies.

If you need both the best solution is to use seperate UHF and VHF antennas joined with a dedicated joiner or a low noise pre-amp with discrete inputs for each band, i.e. the Channel Master 7777, et al.

If your excellent quality antenna still leaves signal too weak to be split to multiple TVs the addition of a low noise pre-amplifier is your next step. Keep the noise level around 2dB. Per-amps with noise levels in the 0.5 area are available but at very premium prices.

Being that I need to get an antenna that is exactly the same, should I just get a pre amp and see what it does? I am about 15' from antenna. Or take the risk and add another antenna and if not return it. What would you guys do?
Some one said what channels I am trying to get, I am missing channel 13, and the channel with 70% is channel 7 the video sometimes gets choppy.

This is what I am looking at:

Walmart.com : Philips MANT940 Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna : TVs

Is the analog signal on the channels in question coming up? If so an amplifier may help. I'm not sure on specs with amplifiers but when I was asking about one the other day at Radio Shack the guy that works there said that there are basically 2 types of amplifiers. One that goes between antenna and the main tv to amplify the signal and another type that goes between the first y splitter and the rest of the tvs in the house. I asked the price on the first one and he said it was around 60 bucks. I don't know if his info is reliable or not... My dad is going to come over sometime today with a ladder and try to help me pick up more channels and rotate the antenna on our roof. Birds moved the prongs around on us..... not sure how to keep them from doing that. It's an older antenna that we got from my mother-in-law for free a few years back when we moved in to our new house. It was free and I don't typically look gift horses in the mouth. Before the birds moved things we had 6 (PBS), 8 (NBC/Weather and CW), 13 (CBS), 17 (FOX,ABC, Weather), and 25 (religious). Currently we only have 8 and 13. I'm hoping that just moving the antenna with dad's analog to digital converter box will help. We got the walmart Magnavox box and it doesn't have a meter. He got a different brand and it does have a tuner. I'm hoping the tuner will make things a lot easier and better.

shortcuts don't work

I never did see if you were watching LA on a analog channels or digital channels.

Higher will often help.

You cannot get something for nothing, and that Walmart antenna is pretty close.
If ya get it, put it outside, and up high and give it a try.
Personally, I doubt it'll do much, but without knowing which signals you are seeking, it's hard to offer an opinion.
...and you can always return it.

There are some web sites with info about the TV stations, their power, and direction.
Give both a look - I'm kind of impressed with TV Fool - Home
The other is: AntennaWeb

edit: if you already have the antenna in the picture on post #1, then I'd get an antenna-mounted amp, some good coax, and try that first.

. . . and as for satellite dishes and signals, the rule is: bigger is better.
The reason we sometimes have two or three, is because each dish is aimed at a different satellite.
That wouldn't apply here if (after looking at TV Fool) you find at all stations are in one direction.
That just leaves: BIGGER !

edit: if you already have the antenna in the picture on post #1, then I'd get an antenna-mounted amp, some good coax, and try that first.

Can you point me in the right direction as far as the antenna mounted amp.
Specifically trying to get channel 13 and improve on channel 7, what I am trying to get is digital. i am pulling all other channels pretty good some as good a 100% with the 722 DVR

If you are less than 20 miles from a transmitter, a standard pre-amp (CM7777) might overload it.

Winegard makes a 12dB pre-amp that is designed for urban use, called the HDP-269.

If you are less than 20 miles from a transmitter, a standard pre-amp (CM7777) might overload it.

Winegard makes a 12dB pre-amp that is designed for urban use, called the HDP-269.

I am about 50 miles form the transmitter and the cable length is about 15' from my 722 Dish DVR. Thanks for the quick response :up

Which do you recommend?

I couldnt get an antenna to get all the stations I wanted so I made one.
It works better than any of my store bought ones.
Right now its sitting in my window sill inside the house and does better than
the one thats 25' in the air.
It took me about 1/2 hr to round up the materials and another 1/2 hr make.
Its called a J pole or J hook and can be tuned to get specific frequencys.
In my case I need channel 11(digital channel 2) so I made it 41 inches long with 10AWG wire.

I couldnt get an antenna to get all the stations I wanted so I made one.
It works better than any of my store bought ones.
Right now its sitting in my window sill inside the house and does better than
the one thats 25' in the air.
It took me about 1/2 hr to round up the materials and another 1/2 hr make.
Its called a J pole or J hook and can be tuned to get specific frequencys.
In my case I need channel 11(digital channel 2) so I made it 41 inches long with 10AWG wire.

Did you join the antennas? To make one supper antenna
Or are you just using the homemade one.

Here is my experience.

I am 70 miles away from the trasmitters in Los Angeles.

I have a winegard HD-8200

I have my antenna 10' above the highest point on my roof.

I am able to get every channel from L.A. with a Dishnetwork 622 signal strength of at least 75... with many at 100 (max)

I do not use a pre-amp... this actually lowered the signal shown on the signal strength.

I am ususing Quad shield RG-6 coax and my line is about 60 feet long. I also have the signal split to my Stereo receiver too.

I spent a great deal of time to get the maximum signal across the weakest channels.

For you situation.... it might just be easier to get a higher gain antenna and be done with it. There is all kinds of stuff that has to be taken into consideration when ganging (joining) two antennas. Do a search on this before considering this.

Get the antenna as high up in the air as possible

Channel 7 is my lowest signal channel. It's digital output power is pretty low 181 kW versus say channel 2 at 466 kW

also beaware they will be moving channels around.. and they may change their power output.

Last edited:
I have a winegard HD-8200.

I do not use a pre-amp... this actually lowered the signal shown on the signal strength.

I spent a great deal of time to get the maximum signal across the weakest channels.

For you situation.... it might just be easier to get a higher gain antenna and be done with it. There is all kinds of stuff that has to be taken into consideration when ganging (joining) two antennas. Do a search on this before considering this.

Get the antenna as high up in the air as possible.

This is all really good advice. Your experience shows very clearly why a good antenna and good cable are indispensable for reliable reception.

A pre-amp can't magically turn a mediocre antenna into a champion performer. All that will do is add noise to an already weak signal.

Did you join the antennas? To make one supper antenna
Or are you just using the homemade one.

No its just one antenna. 10 AWG solid wire bent to the shape of a "J".
The specs for certain frequency are very critical in building it.
I wanted channel 2(RF freq 11) as I couldnt get it with my other antennas very well. The bonus was all the channels come in with this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts