Can we do this with 1 Hopper and 3 joeys?

profsuzy

Original poster
Apr 23, 2014
Pennsylvania
OK, so I'm getting mixed signals from Dish reps. We currently have 2 722s controlling 4 tvs. Because we have a guest room that only gets used a few times a year, we have the tv in there hooked up as a mirror to one of those primary 4 tvs. We also have a set-up in our basement (where one of the 722s is located) that allows us to switch the signal between a theater room (with projector) and a bar tv. So you can watch tv on one and a dvd on the other, but you can't watch tv on both at the same time. So in effect, we've got 6 tvs being operated from the 2 722s (but only 4 independently.).

We'd be interested in going over to the Hopper system, mostly for the convenience of watching anything that's recorded on any tv. But we don't want our bill to go up much. There are only 2 of us in the house, and it's not worth more than we're already paying (which is too much, IMHO). So, if we get the Hopper plus 3 Joeys (maybe one of them a Super Joey), can we do some sort of mirroring that allows us to use that guest bedroom tv a few weeks a year? And can we switch the signal between 2 tvs located near to each other, the way we currently do? I had a chat today with a Dish technology guy who said (much to my surprise) that "we can process a Hopper with 3 joeys with an additional TV that will be mirrored to one of those receivers." I just wanted to confirm with someone here that that's actually possible. Thanks for any help anyone can offer me.

You would want to go with a Hopper, Super Joey and two Joeys. If you want signal running to any extra TVs you will need to purchase RF Modulators to mirror signal to them.

Mirroring can be done, just not quite as easily as with your current boxes. But Dish won't do it. A local retailer might, or we can walk you thru the steps here. This is done quite a bit. There are wired and wireless options.

OK, thanks for the response. We live in small town USA - no retailers around here that I know of who could help us, so we'd be on our own - so any help that we can get from all of you experts out there would be much appreciated. Just curious - I did a quick Google search for RF modulators, and a whole bunch of very different looking things pop up. Any more specifications on what's necessary to go with the Hopper/Joey system?

OK, thanks for the response. We live in small town USA - no retailers around here that I know of who could help us, so we'd be on our own - so any help that we can get from all of you experts out there would be much appreciated. Just curious - I did a quick Google search for RF modulators, and a whole bunch of very different looking things pop up. Any more specifications on what's necessary to go with the Hopper/Joey system?

In some case a basic RF Modulator for $15-$20 will work just fine. All it does is convert the RCA cables to coax so you can watch Dish on either channel 3 or 4. It outputs the signal similar to how a VCR does.

The problem with mirroring the Hopper system though is that it works best when you have two available coax cables to the receiver. One cable the is feeding the satellite signal to the receiver and one cable is sending the signal from the RF modulator to your second TV.

Depending on what state you live in may determin this next comment. As a sub contractor there are a few things I will do that is not considered against company policy but not standard practice or part of an install. An option you may have is if the org install was done correctly, your should have all home runs (direct lines from location to dish connections no splitters or diplexers in line). if so explain to the installer what you want for $20 -$30 they just might mirror the boxes for you.
Another option you may have is if all existing lines are hooked up to splitters then all lines will carry the MOCA to the node. which means you could move a Joey from the spare room to the basement bar when you use it. All Joeys can be move to any location, with the exception of the hopper can not be moved and neither can the super Joey.. if you are still planning on upgrading to the hopper sling and 3 joeys I would recommend waiting until the wireless joeys come out in the next few months. and get a hopper sling, super Joey and 2 Wireless joeys. now keep in mind you are paying a DVR service fee for both 722 and 75 each for a month thats $14. but you're also not paying a programming fee for the other 2 TVs. The Hopper DVR fee is $13 plus $7 per Joey and $10 for the super Joey. So you could be looking at an increase of $23 a month. it just made just be worth giving the technician $30 to hook up all your lines and just get 2 or 3 rooms and moving a joey around the house.

Depending on what state you live in may determin this next comment. As a sub contractor there are a few things I will do that is not considered against company policy but not standard practice or part of an install. An option you may have is if the org install was done correctly, your should have all home runs (direct lines from location to dish connections no splitters or diplexers in line). if so explain to the installer what you want for $20 -$30 they just might mirror the boxes for you.
Another option you may have is if all existing lines are hooked up to splitters then all lines will carry the MOCA to the node. which means you could move a Joey from the spare room to the basement bar when you use it. All Joeys can be move to any location, with the exception of the hopper can not be moved and neither can the super Joey.. if you are still planning on upgrading to the hopper sling and 3 joeys I would recommend waiting until the wireless joeys come out in the next few months. and get a hopper sling, super Joey and 2 Wireless joeys. now keep in mind you are paying a DVR service fee for both 722 and 75 each for a month thats $14. but you're also not paying a programming fee for the other 2 TVs. The Hopper DVR fee is $13 plus $7 per Joey and $10 for the super Joey. So you could be looking at an increase of $23 a month. it just made just be worth giving the technician $30 to hook up all your lines and just get 2 or 3 rooms and moving a joey around the house.
:clap

Welcome! :welcome

For the room with the TV and the projector. If you put the Hopper in that room close to one of the TVs you can use the 3 component video cables to one and the HDMI to the other or get an HDMI switch or splitter to send HDMI to both. Both would view the same show but if one was on DVD it might solve that part of the problem.
Here is another solution

15-290-052-TS

• 15-290-052-Z01
  • 15-290-052-Z02
  • 15-290-052-Z03
  • 15-290-052-Z06
image3423.png

[h=1]IOGEAR Wireless 5x2 HD Matrix GWHDMS52[/h]
[h=2][/h]
none.gif
(1) | Write a Review
In stock.

• Wireless matrix
  • Connects up to 5 source devices
  • Switch between 2 HDTVs
  • Full uncompressed HD 1080p

Why is there No Walking Dead on demand?

Need a reliable Joey (new or used) for a seldom used TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)