Can we still activate receivers with blue cards?

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
I am wondering this because every so often someone offers to sell me a receiver and some still come with the blue cards (they might have not been activated for a while or something). Will there be a problem with activating those? Someone called me and I asked what kind of receiver he had and he said he didn't know then I asked him to give me the model number. He told me 2700 so I figured it might have the older card and I didnt want to buy something I couldnt get activated. I asked if he had a yellow card or blue card and he got mad and said that I fix cards and hung up. I don't fix cards but don't want people hanging up on me or getting the wrong idea.

You can activate receivers with blue cards but they won't receive any programming until they get a new yellow card. I think E* is still doing free swaps to upgrade a card from blue to yellow.

OK, this is good to know. I wonder when they will quit giving people the free yellow cards though.

Stargazer said:
OK, this is good to know. I wonder when they will quit giving people the free yellow cards though.
They will stop after they pay the right people to encrypt the signal so people stop stealing it. Oh and after we front the bill for the new encryption.

sA :: Shaggy said:
They will stop after they pay the right people to encrypt the signal so people stop stealing it. Oh and after we front the bill for the new encryption.

People are already hacking the yellow cards.....but it did slow the hackers down for awhile I guess.

Why is that Claude? It looks like Dish will still send out the yellow cards for free. Am I missing something here?

Some of the receivers are not even worth $50 to begin with. Dang replacement card would cost more than the actual used receiver. They are even replacing some of the yellow cards so to even ask what type of yellow card it is might send some false alarms to some folks. I will just have to tell them that I have to make sure the receiver works before buying it.

lakebum431 said:
Why is that Claude? It looks like Dish will still send out the yellow cards for free. Am I missing something here?

Sometimes it can be a pain to get the replacement card. I activated an old 3900 and it took almost 3 weeks before I had my yellow card. Not to mention the 5 phone calls to dish (across 3 different numbers they told me to call).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)